Menu
lloydcopeland
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

High Ping Problem

I have a serious problem with my virgin 150mb broadband connection. 

I play battlefield 4 PC and when I connect to the battlelog page i get high pings on all the servers that are close range to me.

The severs that are far away such as Germany or France have a good pings in the 30-40s.  Every English server i connect to has a ping of over 50 and when playing i get the connection problem symbol in my top righthand corner of the screen and serious rubber banding which makes the game unplayable this has been happening the last 4-5 days.

I have phoned virgin media over 5 times and was on the phone for over two hours people were transferring me with out telling me they were going to because they could not solve the problem.  I was transferred to gadget help twice even though i stated it was not gadget related.

I gave 3 remote access permission to my PC and they could not solve the problem all ports were open and dhcp reservation was active on static ip address of my pc. modem mode still gave high pings

The reason I think it is virgin related is because all other who play on the server have no ping issues and also a friend who lives 11 miles from my house have sky broadband and also has a ping of 20-25.

Even more worrisome is when i turn on my vpn and select London as the designated server i get a ping of 20-25.

the sever is in Scotland 165 miles from my house so how can using a vpn to connect to London 280 miles from my house then to Glasgow 411 miles that's a 691 mile trip only have a ping of 20-25?

In the end I asked too be transferred to an English tech centre because i was sick of being hung up on or transferred and having to deal with multiple people explaining the same problem over 8 times and showing evidence remotely that this was not a gadget problem in each case they refused to transfer me.

this morning i was home early about 2:30 and turned on my PC connected to battle log and pings were fine. 

I connected a few hours later and back to the same 50-70 ping.

The IP address of said server is 185.16.86.2 but this is the case for all English servers.

Virgin are sending me superhub2 ac in post but i don't think it will help me if this does not solve the problem I will have no need of this service.

0 Kudos
lloydcopeland
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Ping Problem

My router is a superhub2
0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lloyd,

You're not alone and it's not the hardware locally that I believe is causing the issue, but the route that is being taken.

Also when tracing the hops to the target IP it's showing the final hop being in Sweden. This could be inaccurate however but I have checked on two different sources - https://db-ip.com/185.16.86.2

The other being a tracert that resolves the IP to location as well.

I've had this issue personally as well to this particular server that is also in London but routed through half of Europe. The address is here for you to test as well - 46.251.234.52

I don't think we as consumers can do anything unfortunately but I'd like to at least see VM try.

0 Kudos
lloydcopeland
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have never had this issue before. It's every UK server that is doing this.

Does this mean I am getting routed abroad the back to UK by Virgin?
0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm no enterprise routing expert and I don't know how they choose the routes (normally this is done computationally using whatever routing protocols they have chosen on their routers but it is possible to configure static routes as well).

I don't know enough to know what is causing the routes to be this bad, I just know it happens on certain routes and not others. You would have to get that kind of information from someone well versed in how they do the routing at VM, preferably from one of the network engineers (not the chaps coming to install equipment in your house).

Try doing a trace (tracert bbc.co.uk) in command prompt to bbc.co.uk as that's a guaranteed UK server (should be) and it will probably be around 10 or so hops from what I am seeing at my connection here.

0 Kudos
lloydcopeland
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to give it until Sunday if no improvement is made I'm calling sky.
I'm paying £38 per month for **bleep** quality broadband I'm not **bleep** about speed.

And still no proper support from this site thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
lloydcopeland
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'll post ping test when I get home
0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've seen the routing on SKY via a friend of mine, the routes are normally 50% shorter than what you will get on a VM connection, I guess they're going through a fewer number of peer connections to get to the same point. I think BT is the same.

Check out thinkbroadband.com for a good list of ISPs that are available, some you may or may not have heard of but can provide high levels of services depending on what you're after.

0 Kudos