Menu
Pariah
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

High Ping, Packet Loss, and (new) Disconnects

Hello,

I've been experiencing persistent issues with my internet connection in my room in my household, for about 3 months now, and I can't figure out why this is.

The issues I've been having include irregular, high ping (jumping from around 40ms to 600+, even to 1600+ on occasion), during any part of the day. There have also been indications of packet loss when playing Overwatch, though I was only made aware of this due to the constantly blinking notification in-game. I've not had a visible indicator of packet loss in other games, but they would often freeze for a couple of seconds, up to around 15 seconds - sometimes with a 'disconnecting' symbol specific to the game in question. Tonight, I've experienced around 16 disconnects on my desktop, which I've only been using for around 2 hours on a wired connection. The connection was also dropped on my brother's laptop, which was on the wireless connection and around 5ft from our Hub. It's been a little slow on our family desktop at times, too, though I never use it myself. The total disconnects are a pretty new issue, though.

I'm not very tech-savvy when it comes to networks, so I'm not sure what to try or how to solve these issues. It doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be any determinable reason why the ping/packet loss/disconnects occur. Would anyone have any suggestions? It makes gaming/watching videos practically impossible when the problems kick in. There seems to be fairly frequent ping when using services such as Discord, too - my connection would drop to 1 out of 3 bars quite often, and ping would jump to around 400-600+ for a few seconds.

To shed some light on the setup, my room is upstairs, and a cable goes from the Hub by the family desktop (downstairs), through the ceiling, and into an extension socket with an ethernet in & out port. Another cable then goes from this directly into my desktop. I'm aware that running a cable through an extension will likely reduce speeds, though download speeds have been perfectly acceptable (around 70Mbps on Speedtest.net). Ping is always shown as very, very low on Speedtest (around 8ms) - I've been unable to capture a test where the ping has been as high as previously claimed.

I hadn't had any issues up until a few months ago, so I'm not sure why the quality of the connection in my room has dropped so much. It's difficult to find out when the issues are so intermittent.

I had previously thought that, as these issues started around the time the Windows 10 Anniversary Update came out, it might have had something to do with that, as a lot of people seemed to be experiencing high ping with Windows 10. After some reading, I disabled Cortana as much as possible, and turned off the setting that allows updates to be sent from my network/downloaded from other Win10 PCs, and turned this off on the family desktop and my brother's laptop, too, though this doesn't seem to have had any effect, which leads me to believe that it might be something to do with the network, or an issue with our service.

Are there any steps I could take to test where the cause of the issue may lie? I've been silently dealing with it for a while now but it's really irritating at this point when trying to do things with friends/groups in particular.

I've also tried using different ethernet cables and a powerline adapter (and testing each cable in the adapter & extension), but it seems that my current setup is the optimal one in terms of Speedtests. I've not tested wireless on my desktop in my room, as it doesn't have an adapter (I was always planning on using wired, anyway). The signal would need to go through the floor from downstairs, too, so I can't imagine it would be very strong even if it had wireless capability.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (apologies for the mini-essay)

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Ping, Packet Loss, and (new) Disconnects

Hi Pariah, 

Thanks for the post to let us know that you're experiencing issues with your connection having ping spikes, packet loss and disconnects, I apologise for any troubles, I am confident I can resolve this for you.

I have tested things from here and I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary! No errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs and all of your power levels are within the preferred ranges.

Are you still having these issues? If so, please respond to me here with a recent copy of your Hubs logs for me to compare with the data we have here. You can find these by opening your internet browser and typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar, before logging in, top right hand corner it will say 'Router Status' click there and all the information needed is inside.

How are you connected, wired or wired?

Also when you experience disconnects, do you notice any change in the Hubs light sequence?

I look forward to hearing from you, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Pariah
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the response, and for testing everything.

There haven't been any issues for a little while now - pretty much since a couple of days after I posted here (which is typical!). No disconnects or anything unusual.

I'm connected via wired connection, and I wasn't able to tell if there were any differences with the light sequence.

It looks like it might have solved itself somehow, but I appreciate your response!

Thanks,

Pariah

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pariah, 

Thanks for responding!

I appreciate you letting me know that you haven't had any issues for a little while, I am pleased to hear this! Just remember if you require our assistance in future then post back here and we'll gladly take a look at things from here for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos