Menu
Techie94
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

High Latency and Packet Loss on 2 x Xbox One and PS4

Been having ongoing problems with online gaming on both Xbox One (1 being my console & my brothers console both connected via Wifi and have a good range but not possible to connect via cable) and my PS4 which is also Wifi connected and can't be connected via cable but that shouldn't be a problem because I was with Sky before Virgin and was using Wifi for online gaming and I had 0 problems.

Detailed Network Statistics on the Xbox show that Latency is over 200ms and sometimes it goes to 300ms which makes multiplayer impossible. Packet loss almost hits 40% but this can vary at times. I'm aware that there are cable upgrades or bandwidth upgrades going on in my area but when I do speed tests on my line it still comes through at 100Mbps Down and 6Mbps Up which is max for me since I'm on the VIVID 100 package. I've got the Hub 3 in modem mode and I'm using my TP-Link Archer C7 cable router which I've been using for gaming before absolutely fine so I'm pretty sure that my equipment is not the issue. I've called "Tech Support" about 3 times and I have a ticket number but apart from that I have no idea on what is being done about this.

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
1cecold
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Latency and Packet Loss on 2 x Xbox One & PS4

are you getting the same issue of your other devices? Have you Tried a wired connection to see if you still get it, even if it's only our PC?

It could be the channel that the wireless is set to is receiving interference?

0 Kudos
Techie94
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Couldn't try a wired connection if I wanted to. My router and devices are on a separate floor but they're still within range of the signal. Last time I done a test on both consoles they both came back with about 85 - 96% signal strength. The only thing that's connected to the router via cable is my Sky+HD box since that is literally next to the router. Don't really use my PC for much other than streaming my videos to my consoles over the network which appears to have no issues but sometimes streaming on video services like Amazon Prime and Netflix come through in SD. It will eventually buffer to HD but only for a couple minutes and drops to SD again.

I've rebooted my router a few times over a week or so so it can scan for other wireless channels but to no improvement I'm afraid.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Techie94,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

My apologies that you are experiencing high latency and packet loss on your games consoles.

I've managed to locate your account and there are currently two faults reported in your area.

1. A SNR (signal to noise ratio) fault which is causing intermittent connection. The reference number is F004811494 and with a review date of 20th October.

2. High peak time traffic fault which can cause slow speeds/latency. The reference number is F004713705 and with a review date of 2nd November.

I appreciate that you are unable to test through a wired connection, we do recommend using this option when online gaming due to the interference of wireless. You can try to change the wireless channel to try and improve the connection. 

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Techie94
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply.

I got text just a few minutes after your post confirming that fault F004811494 has been fixed. Adds up since I've been able to play quite a lot of games without lagging or disconnecting so that's a plus already. Everything else appears to be okay.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey there Techie94,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

Good to hear that your connection has improved.

Please keep us posted and let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos