Menu
Dannal007
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Heavy Lag on COD Gaming

Hi,

Like so many others I've been experiencing LAG when playing COD on the Xbox One. Ive added the additional port numbers you see on all the other forums and I've tried different COD games to see if its down to the game servers but still the same issue. I'm on a wired connection (60 MB....although since paying for this yet to see these speeds, often no more than 10 - 20) and don't know what else to check to see what the problem could be. No one is on a laptop streaming ect only mobile phone wireless connections.

I have a open connection if that helps.

Any advice / support welcome.

0 Kudos
derprofii2
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Heavy Lag on COD Gaming

Same issue. every cod title im playing seconds behind other players and players from uk too.
had my connection checked and its fine thats why im baffled at this latency.
we just have to put up with it and hope virgin can try and fix this issue
ive been forced to stop playing cod the latency is that bad.
0 Kudos
nad223
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media you have got serious sorting out to do before your customers turn their back on you and go elsewhere it's happening mostly every game 

Dannal007
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ive been doing some more forum hunting and theres some comments saying the issue is with the Router as the one provided is designed for normal use such as downloading music, streaming movies or general web browsing. If however you want to get the most out of the gaming part an improved router is needed....downside is its a bloody expensive test if it yields no better results.

The most annoying part for me is there is no answer...VM say its not them, The game developers say its not them so where else could the issue be? Surely there is a geek at VM who feels our pain and can give some more robust advice other than, your service looks good, answer.

There have been instances where people have left VM and joined another provider and no longer have the issue which baffles me why VM feel the issue is not with them or their hardware.

This needs to resolved as COD are always releasing games so the issue that we all feel will not go away.

Rant over...for now.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi All,

I can understand your frustration with this. We've run extensive tests and raised this to our network teams to check everything too and have found nothing on our side to be the cause of this. I can understand your frustration with this and we are still checking everything we can and for the most part the traces we've been shown have high latency at the other end of the connection.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Dannal007
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your comments John. I do have a question for you, when I go into Modem Only mode I have no lag and all works fine so what is modem mode and why does this improve the connection?

My XBOX is wired connection and then I check what other devices are connected its my phone and an idle kindle.

Would purchasing a new modem help?

Thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Dannal007 wrote:

Would purchasing a new modem help?

You got the modem but you can get a router.

DAVIDR19781
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So would that suggest the problem is the lag compensation configuration within the games net code?

I can never get a fair game, its been like that since I joined VM, during the BO3 beta I was starting games with about a 30ms ping to the host but that would shoot up to over 300ms during gunfights. 

0 Kudos
DAVIDR19781
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'd just like to add that Modem mode and every other troubleshoot does not work, I'm on PS4 and have this synchronisation issue on all COD games.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dannal007,

Good question. Modem mode turns off all the hubs router functions and turns the hub into just a modem. This means that only one connection can be made to the modem which eliminates other devices from taking up bandwidth. It also means there is no firewall or port forwarding either so that's another layer that won't interfere with connection. Finally, it will change your IP address which in turn changes the route your connection takes to get to the servers. Any one of these changes could be what causes the connection to work. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules