Menu
Ragasparks
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hearthstone game issues due to no IPv6 DNS support

Hi, recently blizzard has updated hearthstone which now works with IPv6 DNS since the latest patch. Because of this Players In the UK with virgin can not play any more since Virgin have not updated/support IPv6 DNS. Many ISP are aware of this for a few years now so unsure why this has not been implemented yet. So Virgin do you have any update on this issue? Is thier a work around for the time being? I'm not sure why no one here hasn't posted about this issue yet since blizzard forums are overun with this issue and we are not the only country with isps who are having this issue. I look forwards to a reply. Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hearthstone game issues due to no IPv6 DNS support

Whilst I can only give you a generic answer to as to why it hasn't happened yet (IPV4 addresses lasted longer than we thought), there are several workarounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

Get a look at that, if you are playing on PC (I assume you are) there are several ways of using IPV6 on an IPV4 network, Teredo is one of them.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Ragasparks

Virgin do support IPv6 DNS lookups.  For example if I lookup facebook.com using Virgin's servers (And yes that is face:b00c being used as part of their address.

> facebook.com
Server:  cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address:  194.168.4.100

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    facebook.com
Addresses:  2a03:2880:1020:3f83:face:b00c:0:25de

However as the Virgin network currently only uses IPv4, the AAAA record (IPv6) isn't used by your PC, only the A record (IPv4).

Ravenstar68

Edit - Have just installed and played a quick game of Hearthstone so your premise that all Virgin users can't play because of a lack of IPv6 DNS is incorrect.  There must be something else going on.  What error messages are you seeing?

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Ragasparks
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've linked the forum and the error. Logging into hearthstone works but when u play a game or even against computer this error occurs. People have suggested it is a IPv6 problem since there work arounds have worked but not confirmed. Maybe it something you could make more sense out of than i have but anyways i thought i would message you guys incase it is virgin side with the issue.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/20746934681
Oops! We couldnt find a game for you.." error

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Looking at the thread linked everyone seems to be throwing a lot of the standard fixes at the problem in the hope that they work.

So far I've seen.

Change DNS - X
Disable IPv6 - X
Use US rather than EU servers - X

For every person that reports success there appears to be more that say the above don't work.  And posters appear to range from across the Globe Smiley Sad

Surprised no one's suggested making sure ports are forwarded - (don't bother - I'm just commenting not suggesting).

I'd be tempted to remove the whole thing including any directories left after the uninstall, and redownload.  BUT - there's no guarantees that this would work.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
dazedram
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Playing on iPad or android phone not working through virgin hub. Plays fine on bt. When will virgin be ready ?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

dazedram wrote:
Playing on iPad or android phone not working through virgin hub. Plays fine on bt. When will virgin be ready ?

Which hub?  Working ok here

Gingerjohn
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So heres the kick in the nuts. I cant connect on my wifi to hearthstone yet virgin advertise it and want you to play it for them. http://store.virginmedia.com/gaming/egx/features-and-videos/hearthstone-a-big-deal-for-a-card-game.h...
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The thing is it's not an IPv6 DNS issue - despite what the title of the thread says.

I've been able to play Hearthstone on both my PC and my IPad since this thread was created.  Reading the thread on the Blizzard forums, it's clear that people around the world are being affected, so it's not an ISP issue, whatever you might think.

Ravenstar68

Gingerjohn
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I can play on a different ISP to Virgin fine without problem.
0 Kudos