Menu
la_familla
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

HELP! Assigned Public IP Previously Blacklisted from PSN

The Public IP I have currently been assigned has been blacklisted from PSN network previously and now that I have it I cannot connect to PSN.

I tested by tethering my PlayStation and Laptop to my phone as a hotspot and I can sign into PlayStation account both form my laptop web browser and Playstation.

The lease on my IP doesn't expire until 18th March. I'm not prepared to wait that long. I called VM tech support and the chap I spoke to said he can't release and renew my IP. I know this can be done because a while ago I reported a DDoS attack and called VM and they renewed my IP. Please help.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: HELP! Assigned Public IP Previously Blacklisted from PSN

la_familla wrote:

The Public IP I have currently been assigned has been blacklisted from PSN network previously and now that I have it I cannot connect to PSN.

I tested by tethering my PlayStation and Laptop to my phone as a hotspot and I can sign into PlayStation account both form my laptop web browser and Playstation.

The lease on my IP doesn't expire until 18th March. I'm not prepared to wait that long. I called VM tech support and the chap I spoke to said he can't release and renew my IP. I know this can be done because a while ago I reported a DDoS attack and called VM and they renewed my IP. Please help.

Personally i would instead be contacting sony to have them remove the IP ban, because renewing your IP doesn't actually solve the issue it just shifts it to another user, much like you are annoyed at getting this IP they will also be annoyed, i would say do the right thing instead of the lazy thing Smiley Tongue

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

vm can't change your IP address its automaticly assigned from the CMTS based on the mac address of the device. Putting the SH in modem mode with your own router will change the mac address and IP address.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

1. While the lease expires on 18th of March, due to the way DHCP works, you're likely to keep the same IP address.
  2. 1st line support, and even second line support cannot force a change of IP address.  This is an inefficient way of dealing with DDOS attacks anyway, as it means that some other party will get DDOS'ed instead.
  3. Sony, or anyone else for that matter can choose to ban whatever IP addresses they like.  By doing so they are withdrawing consent for that IP to connect to their network.  Were Virgin Media to assist you in getting around that ban, they would be breaking the law.  The only people who can legally resolve this for you are Sony.

Therefore give Sony a call, tell them you have only recently been assigned this IP address by Virgin Media (provide dates), and therefore you feel the ban is unfair.  Make sure you have your public IP to hand as well as the serial number of your PlayStation.

Sony's phone number can be found here

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/contact-us/

The quickest way to find your IP is to simply visit:

whatismyipaddress.com.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.