Menu
Sierra21
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Great ping, but packet loss whilst surfing and playing games (Wired)

Hi virginmedia,

I woke up this morning and found my connection to be fine but noticed whilst surfing the internet, websites would take longer to load than usual. I then went to play on Counter Strike: Global Offensive, and my ping is fine but I'll just randomly jump around the map and the gameplay isn't as smooth as it always is.

The connection was fine yesterday, but all of a sudden this morning it's acting very weird.

I've pinged google.co.uk 3 times:

So it seems like I'm just getting packet loss.

Using a wired connection on my desktop, and just checked my laptop's internet for consistency. I also played Counter Strike on my laptop and it's just as 'jumpy' as on my desktop, so it doesn't look like a computer problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

EDIT: I've just tried in Modem Mode as well, and it's still losing packets.

Also just done a tracert on both google.co.uk and on one of the CS:GO servers I usually play on (although I've connected to other servers and they're all just as jumpy):

0 Kudos
Sierra21
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Great ping, but packet loss whilst surfing and playing games (Wired)

Edited the first post too many times so I'll have to post a reply with my speedtest and pingtest:

Above it says no packet loss, so I'm not exactly sure what the problem is now.

EDIT: Just started Windows in safe mode with networking, and still losing packets for the tracert and ping commands.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sierra21

Welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear of the slower connection you have noticed and issues playing Counter Strike.

The trace route you posted looks good. ICMP packets are low priority so it's quite common to see "request timed out". Some servers are set to ignore these requests. The following hops are good and the end route fine which is good news.

Thanks for trying safe mode and modem mode for us too Smiley Happy

I've run a few checks on your connection and everything is looking healthy.  Are you still noticing these issues?

Look forward to hearing from you

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Steelz_1
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I'm experiencing the EXACT same issues.  It's only been happening over the past few days, my speeds are fine etc I've done all the tests, yet when I play CS:GO I feel like I'm constantly having mirco lags and no it's nothing to do with my machine as I'm running a beast.

It's most certainly an issue with teh net.  How can I get this sorted it's beyond a joke.

0 Kudos