Menu
shawn42
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Gradual latency increase over 2 week period.

Hey, so as the title says

Over time my latency gradually increases to highs of about 40ms and spikes to 500ms, as opposed to my usual 21/27ms range. Resetting my router causes the ping to drop back down to the usual speeds, however I would like to know how to fix this problem more long term and without me having to do this every 2 weeks or so. I don't change my settings at all, but the default password so im very confused on what is causing this gradual increase in ping. The thing is when I stream videos or download games on steam the speed is fine.

this has been on every online game I have played, and resetting the router to factory settings has always dropped my ping down, even when AFAIK there was nothing changed in the settings in the first place. Is it just common practice to do this every now and again? Is there some sort of cache that builds up that must be dumped? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gradual latency increase over 2 week period.

Let me guess, you have a Superhub 1 (says model number VMDG480 on back)?

Setup a BQM graph to monitor your connection and post a link to the live graph: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

You'll need to enable the Ping setting in the advanced settings, as per the instructions.

If you answer my question and post the graph I can tell you exactly what is going on.

shawn42
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it is a Superhub 1, I set up the BQM, and here is the BQM graph as requested.

My Broadband Ping - Shawn

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

shawn42 wrote:

Yes, it is a Superhub 1, I set up the BQM, and here is the BQM graph as requested.

Right, so by that graph you look to be running the hub in what's called "router mode". i.e. with wifi and router functions enabled.

When running the SH1 in router mode it has a rather nasty problem where the minimum latency (green on the graph) gradually increases over time, until you reboot the hub. The connection also becomes more and more unstable. How much it increases tends to be governed by how much load you put on the hub. Though some people never seem to experience the issue.

This was found during trials back around 2010. So it's a fairly well known problem.

If you run the hub in "modem mode", which switches off the wifi/router features and only leave ONE port working (closest to the power plug), then the problem does NOT occur. Of course then you need to buy a 3rd party router and connect it to the hub to use wifi and/or more than one device at a time.

We think the problem is due to the lack of memory on the SH1. This problem does NOT occur with any other hub.

A good test to see if this is the issue would be to let your BQM populate for a while until the green increases a bit then reboot the hub. Rebooting the hub will leave a thin red line on the graph and just afterwards the green minimum latency should drop down (assuming you haven't rebooted lately).

You DON'T need to factory reset the hub, a regular power on and off will temporarily fix the issue fine. A factory reset has no further benefit on a normal reboot for this issue.

It's simply a case of confirm the cause, then either request a replacement Superhub 2/2ac from the VM Forum Team, or go modem mode and buy your own 3rd party router to do the wifi etc.

However from your description this is likely to be the issue. You might also want to post your downstream and upstream power levels to just check there's no other problems.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

shawn42 wrote:

Is it just common practice to do this every now and again?

Going back a few years now, I had a Superhub 1 for about a year before moving to the Superhub 2, then 2ac, hub 3 etc.

It was common for me to have to reset the SH1 every 2 weeks, as I ran mine in router mode. Other people had to do it more often or less often, or never if they were running in modem mode.

Btw, I almost never reboot my other hubs. It's simply not necessary to reboot the SH2/2ac/3.

Is there some sort of cache that builds up that must be dumped? 

Probably memory fragmentation, which gets reset by the reboot.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

MUD_Wizard wrote:

Btw, I almost never reboot my other hubs. It's simply not necessary to reboot the SH2/2ac/3.

Is there some sort of cache that builds up that must be dumped? 

Probably memory fragmentation, which gets reset by the reboot.

Its also not necessary to reboot the SH1 when its in modem mode.

Fragmentation has nothing to do with it the reason is not well done firmware for router mode that causes a memory leak or processing loop and VM wouldn't let them re do the code for router mode it hard enough to ask them to fix a DHCP renew problem in the SH2ac for router mode we really have to take any fix they do as a blessing.

0 Kudos
shawn42
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

MUD_Wizard wrote:

It's simply a case of confirm the cause, then either request a replacement Superhub 2/2ac from the VM Forum Team, or go modem mode and buy your own 3rd party router to do the wifi etc.

So how would I go about requesting the Superhub 2/2ac?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

shawn42 wrote:
MUD_Wizard wrote:

So how would I go about requesting the Superhub 2/2ac?

MUD_Wizard wrote:

See above. The VM Forum Team will respond to this thread in a few days, or you can try calling customer services instead. Though if it was me I'd wait for the Forum Team.

Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shawn42,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to see you've been affected by latency ramping. This is down to an issue with some SH1s so I'll get a replacement sent out to you now. I've just sent you a private message to confirm some details. To view your messages just click the envelope at the top of the page. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos