Menu
jreddic
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Good theoretcial broadband speed let down by poor Virgin Kit

I have a superhub 2 and my son is having problems with his Xbox One wireless connection and since December has been getting disconnected mid game across a variety of games.
I also have a painfully slow Tivo box which takes ages to switch between home, tv guide and changing channel.
My broadband speed is great.
My contract ends in March. Why should I stay. Should I go to Sky? Has anyone else switched and had all of these problems disappear, or is Sky no better? Any inherent disadvantages with their set up/kit esp re xbox connections?
0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Good theoretcial broadband speed let down by poor Virgin Kit

Hi Jreddic,

switching shouldn't see any difference in terms what services you can access. It's likely you will see reduced latency as the VDSL (fibre from SKY/BT/etc) service is quite low latency when it's working to it's full potential.

I'd check the quality of existing telephone lines as this is a big variable depending on how old and how far away you are from the 'super fast' enabled exchanges. You're also only going to see a max download of aroudn 75-80Mb/s but the upload speeds tend to be higher at max around 20Mb/s.

There is a sticky post about xbox live connectivity at the top of this forum section as well, if you're having issues that are not resolved it would be best to give the tech team a call to see if there are any other issues related to either you local connection or the VM network.

As for TiVo - I've switched to the V6 box which is like night and day compared to the TiVo box. Unfortunately it's a chargeable service and adds a cost on per month, but the TiVo box is just plain rubbish in comparison.

How does you son connect to the internet through his Xbox? Is it wired or wireless? I've seen plenty of issues with the wireless being pretty rubbish from the superhub to connected devices, I have to say I don't use my SH for any functions other than the modem mode, the rest is handled by a cable router which again is much more reliable and configurable than the SH supplied by default.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired connection is always best for gaming as it provides a more stable connection and lower latency.

If a wired connection direct to the hub is not practical then one option might be powerline adapters.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.  Some powerline adapter reviews here:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/20-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

I agree with @stormfury2 that the V6 is much better than the old Tivo, but it should not cost any extra per month unless you need to make other changes to your package to be eligible for a V6 box e.g. higher broadband tier as V6 needs at least 100Mbps.

When you are out of contract you are in a strong position to haggle with the retentions team for a better deal which could include a V6 box.

The best people to ask about alternative providers are your neighbours as just like with VM the quality of services can vary with location.

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'm currently on a 'legacy' tier, what used to be the 150Mbit package, TV L and Phone - the customer service agent said we would have to change our contract if we decide to keep the V6 after 30 days, though the cost does jump, I'd have to find the information that was quoted over the phone to relay an accurate cost per month if we keep the V6.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

stormfury2 wrote:

I'm currently on a 'legacy' tier, what used to be the 150Mbit package, TV L and Phone - the customer service agent said we would have to change our contract if we decide to keep the V6 after 30 days, though the cost does jump, I'd have to find the information that was quoted over the phone to relay an accurate cost per month if we keep the V6.

From the news article HERE:

"Pricing for the Virgin TV V6 box is simple, transparent and will not incur additional monthly subscription fees for existing TiVo customers.

The new state of the art box will be available to existing customers on a Mix bundle or higher, from December 6th. Existing customers will not need to change package to benefit, however it may affect any loyalty discounts."

As you are on a legacy tier then you may be losing loyalty discounts by taking the V6, but there is no specific monthly fee for the V6 and many of us have swapped without an increase in our monthly bills.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos