Menu
droggy123
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Good internet but very high ping in games!

I live in a student house and we have a hub 3.0. When we first joined Virgin we had 1 wifi to connect to and as it was very slow, we got in contact and Virgin tech support helped by enabling us to connect to 2 wifi's  - a 2G version and a 5G version.

Having a 2G version and a 5G version is a must as it ensures everyone in the house has good internet. I was experiencing terrible lag in games such as CSGO, Rocket League and GTA V etc. for the past week and so hard reset the router the other day. This caused it to delete the custom settings and therefore we went back to having just the 1 wifi to connect to. In this time, I had no ping and gaming was smooth - however it meant that the rest of the house had bad internet and therefore this is not a solution. I then contacted tech support to get the 2 seperate wifi's, they helped by doing this again so we have good internet. However this still means I will have high ping, so what can be done to fix it? 

Test results can be seen below, I'm hoping someone can give a solution fairly promptly as I don't really want to go back and forth:

ping testping testinternet speed testinternet speed testbbc pingbbc pingbbc tracertbbc tracertthinkbroadbandthinkbroadband

0 Kudos
bambamboyo
Up to speed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Good internet but very high ping in games!

Poor latency/ping response is known problem with hub3.  Virgin don't seem to be acknowledging this as a problem even though it was reported in the media last week. You would be better off with a superhub2 at the moment.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Good internet but very high ping in games!

Evening droggy123,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to see that you are having issues with your broadband connection.

I've managed to locate your account, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running low.

Have you tried a connection whilst the Hub is in modem mode ?

If you can complete trace routes in both router and modem mode, this will be helpful.

When you get chance you can create a Broadband Quality Monitor as this will check the performance of the connection. You will need to disable the firewall for this to work, if you do create a BQM.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos