Menu
mr_m_beasley
Dialled in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Getting sent a SH 2AC (To fix Firmware Issue)

I sent in a complaint and i'm getting sent a free 'install yourself' 2AC router.

I'll let you know if it fixes the issues we're having on the SH2, forcing us to use the 5ghz channel on 54mbps. (Firmware update issue)

I did some research and i'm seeing some good things. Here's what i found.

• Virgin Media has been slowly improving its routers since its Super Hub cable router. First it introduced dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz support with the Super Hub 2, and now the Super Hub 2ac has 802.11ac support for a much-needed improvement in wireless speeds.

•  In our tests the router's 5GHz performance was definitely superior to that of the outgoing model. We tested the router's transfer speeds using a laptop with a built-in Intel Dual Band Wireless N-7260 adapter. With this setup we saw 167.8MBit/s at 10m and 79.6MBit/s at 25m - far faster than the 74Mbit/s and 13Mbit/s we saw from the old model, but nothing that spectacular. Those speeds bumped up to 181.8Mbit/s and 121.1Mbit/s respectively when we switched to a Huawei E367 external dongle, which is still middle-of-the-road performance.

The Super Hub 2ac is a Netgear device underneath the Virgin branding, so we used a Netgear 802.11ac adapter for testing 802.11ac speeds. With this adaptor plugged into our laptop, at 10m we saw a superb 326.2Mbit/s, and 181.8Mbit/s at 25m was faster than we saw from 802.11n in the 10m test. This is a seriously impressive result and welcome news for anyone with 802.11ac hardware they want to connect to the router.

2.4GHz performance wasn't quite as fast as the previous model at 10m range; the Super Hub 2ac managed just 15.6Mbit/s, compared to over 30Mbit/s from the previous Super Hub. However, 10.3Mbit/s at 25m was a definite improvement, as the previous model failed to hold a stable connection at that distance.

Simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi is still available, so you can connect newer devices at the same time as older, 2.4GHz-only models. With five internal aerials (two for 2.4GHz and three for 5GHz), the Super Hub 2ac has a theoretical 1,300Mbit/s maximum transfer speed. We might not have seen anything close to those speeds in our tests, but considering we conducted them in an office with high electrical and wireless interference, the router should perform well in a less electrically-busy home environment.

The Superhub 2ac will be provided free of charge to new cable broadband customers on all Virgin's broadband packages. As is standard with Virgin Media kit, you don't actually own the router, so you can't sell it on should you upgrade, but you do get the peace of mind that the company will replace it should it fail. New customers may also have to pay an installation fee, with someone coming to your house and setting up your connection.

The Superhub 2ac is a surprisingly capable ISP-provisioned router for those only looking for straightforward internet access and networking. Anyone looking for more advanced features, such as network storage, should look at setting the Super Hub to modem mode and using a separate router, however.

Helpful Answers
emma_tb
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Getting sent a SH 2AC (To fix Firmware Issue)

I received my SH2ac yesterday. Plugged it in, went through the activation and had 2 hours of uninterrupted online gaming. I think it's even improved the wifi strength. Really impressed so far.

That's online PC gaming btw, I don't have an Xbox to compare...
0 Kudos
mr_m_beasley
Dialled in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So good news everyone!

I got my Superhub 2AC router yesterday, set it up and i played Destiny for an hour online, 5ghz full speed and also tried out 2.4ghz. I never got disconnected.

Normally the SH2 would disconnect after 5-10mins, unless i changed it to 5ghz 54mbps. But not anymore!

The 2AC has fixed my issue.

If anyone else is having the SH2 issue, just complain HARD and they will send you the 2AC for free.

0 Kudos

All Replies
emma_tb
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm being sent one too. They've just become the standard for new customers I think. I simply explained my issue and asked if it was possible to be sent one. He was really good, and arranged for one to arrive next week. There really are helpful advisers out there!
0 Kudos
Jack123
Up to speed
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Whilst the SH2AC fixes numerous issues with gaming, in particular with the Xbox One, you must be forewarned that some issues do still remain.

Such as:

- Speeds on wireless will be significantly lower on the Xbox One than any other device. Microsoft are aware of this, as are Virgin.

- The NAT type over wireless is incompatible from the Xbox One to the SH2AC, and as such, it will change regularly, from Open to Strict. A hard restart sometimes temporarily resolves it.
0 Kudos
mr_m_beasley
Dialled in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey Jack..

What if i open all the ports needed, like i've done on the SH2. This will make it open forever?

0 Kudos
Jack123
Up to speed
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

mr_m_beasley wrote:

Hey Jack..

What if i open all the ports needed, like i've done on the SH2. This will make it open forever?

From the tests I've done, no. It won't really make any difference. I even have my console in the DMZ, but at odd times the NAT will still go to Strict, which makes no sense whatsoever, as the DMZ bypasses the NAT.

0 Kudos
emma_tb
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I received my SH2ac yesterday. Plugged it in, went through the activation and had 2 hours of uninterrupted online gaming. I think it's even improved the wifi strength. Really impressed so far.

That's online PC gaming btw, I don't have an Xbox to compare...
0 Kudos
mr_m_beasley
Dialled in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You got me scared!

I read that as 'Had 2 hours of interrupted gaming' haha well i hope to get mine tomorrow then, we shall see!
0 Kudos
mr_m_beasley
Dialled in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So good news everyone!

I got my Superhub 2AC router yesterday, set it up and i played Destiny for an hour online, 5ghz full speed and also tried out 2.4ghz. I never got disconnected.

Normally the SH2 would disconnect after 5-10mins, unless i changed it to 5ghz 54mbps. But not anymore!

The 2AC has fixed my issue.

If anyone else is having the SH2 issue, just complain HARD and they will send you the 2AC for free.

0 Kudos
GuyJones1988
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Where's mine? Lol. How do I get one?
0 Kudos
mr_m_beasley
Dialled in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Complain hard and you'll get one

0 Kudos