Menu
rycotehouse
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Getting high latency playing BF3

I recently have been playing battlefield 3 and i have noticed i get inconsistent ping results which makes the game unplayable having somewhat of a knowledge of computers i decided to look into why i was getting such high lag, i pinged 8.8.8.8 which came back with pings in the region of about 400 ms and so i ran a tracert and noticed the significant issue's in the first 3 hops the first was fine <1ms the second timed out and the third was where i was getting the ping issue's, i rang virgin media and they told me there was issue on the line and they would clear it and all was good for a day as my ping dropped to 25ms on average. Over the next couple of days it started to creep up and now i can't play battlefield at all. i rang virgin again and they told me there is no problem with my line, even though the ping is back to the same levels as before around the 300 mark and so now i'm faced with the decision of going back with BT. being the housemate that convinced my other housemates to get virgin i feel somewhat of a fool, in my home town of Gloucester they are by far the best ISP but here in oxford the latency is so bad i get a better latency using my tethered mobile phone and its just not on considering the price we're paying, i'm imploring someone from virgin to help me rectify this issue, i don't wanna be rash and leave but i simply can not see another alternative as the people on the phone seem unwilling to help

0 Kudos
Hockster
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting high latency playing BF3

I am also having issues with BF3 I noticed that it is only on UK servers have you tried other countries?

Have a look in battlelog it lists the pings alongside the listings. My own ClansBF3 UK server is running at 137 ping normally 17 and German servers I am getting a 26 ping and playable.

some routing issue going on virgin media?

0 Kudos
rycotehouse
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

it doesn't seem to matter where the server is i get ping of over 300ms no matter where the server is located its to do with an issue on my 2nd and 3rd hop through a Tracert it seems to me virgin have a major issue on that line or its broke somehow and are finding any excuse to not fix it despite me paying for a what can only be described as an unstable intermittent service. which surely is grounds to terminate the contract. i wouldn't mind so much if they endeavored to fix it but they just threw me on the forums in a vain hope someone who they don't pay can help me, which is disgraceful for a business practice

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rycotehouse,

I've responded in your other thread so let's keep it confined to that one to avoid confusion.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Set-up/latency-spikes-and-hop-timeouts/m-p/2927335#M47703

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos