Menu
MadiraNofo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Gaming ping spikes

Hi

Just recently, been getting very bad lag spikes with different games. I rang PingPlotter, which you can see here

I am after some advice really-  you can see I am getting spikes every 30 seconds- almost exactly. 

How much packet loss is 'acceptable'? I hear very little, like under 5% is to be expected, but this is awful, and hard to play with.

Any advice appreciated!

EDIT- From what I've been reading, a lot of other people are getting ping spikes too, so I'm guessing this is a Virgin issue, as lots of different games are having the same issues.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Armored Warfare Lag spikes

Hi MadiraNofo,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with AW.

I've checked your connection and can see no issues from our side. The ping plotter does indicate the issue is at the games end of the servers. Could you run a traceroute and post it her for us to take a look at too?

It would also be great if you could pop the hub in modem mode and run another trace for comparison.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
MadiraNofo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Armored Warfare Lag spikes

Hi

Thanks for looking into this.

Rather embarrassingly, I've fixed it myself by doing the incredibly technical task of turning off the router for 60 seconds and turning it back on again. Hey presto, no packets lost, no ping spikes, all is well.

Didn't realise a router could cause these sorts of issues (and, more to the point, that a reboot could fix it), so I live and learn Smiley Happy

Cheers anyway

0 Kudos