Menu
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Gaming on VM, modem mode is way to go.

Gamers moaning on hear about VM. I wonder how many of them STILL have there SH in router mode.

If so. Buy your own router, loads to choose from. I myself use the ASUS RT-N66U, and Switch you SH

into Modem Mode. Yes there is a cost, but its worth it.

I have been in Modem Mode, since I was forced to have a SH. But in them 3 years, I don't have any of the Problems people post here. I game on PC (Wired), and PS3 / PS4 / Vita (Wireless 2.4GHz), Sony does not have the 5GHz.

My step son has the XBOX 360 on the (Wireless 5GHz) range.

The SH was designed as a one stop shop for people clueless on how to set there home networks up. For Gamers it does not do a go job. So people stop moaning and smell the roses.

GAME IN MODEM MODE.

Will now be told off by the Forum Police, but I see most VM Staff saying Modem Mode as well.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
almostrodney
Joining in
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming on VM, modem mode is way to go.

I'm into my gaming in a big way but the £100 does seem very expensive for something that the superhub does anyway. Is it really that noticeable?
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

In one word YES.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
almostrodney
Joining in
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Ok. Care to elaborate? All my consoles are wired so I'm guessing it wouldn't make a great deal of difference to me.
0 Kudos
JuJuDoll
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Trouble is  RedGooner - that is all very well but most of us gamers did not have any problems until a month or so ago when the firmware for the SH was updated so why should we fork out of a piece of kit to boost/run alongside that which VM have encouraged us to use.  As you say most of us have no clue about IT etc and a lot of this goes into realms that are way beyond us.  All most of us want is for the kit we have to work like it did only a few weeks ago without the need for extra costs etc.

Jygar
Tuning in
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Using the N66U too with Merlin firmware so that OpenVPN will work again.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

JuJuDoll wrote:

Trouble is  RedGooner - that is all very well but most of us gamers did not have any problems until a month or so ago when the firmware for the SH was updated so why should we fork out of a piece of kit to boost/run alongside that which VM have encouraged us to use.

This only shows we need to be able to roll back the firmware to which we have no control over we will have less problems just having a modem thats tested to work with little to no change so nothing breaks without knowing about it. As I say NAT should not have been done in ISP equipment and the firmware needs to be independent along with the hardware for modem and NAT router with a port to the modem you can connect to and WAN NAT router port.

0 Kudos
CSMacDonald
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

You seem to be missing the point that we have already paid for a router and are paying for a service from Virgin Media. They are not providing that service. People are perfectly entitled to complain about that and not to have to fork out £100 for a new router.

legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

CSMacDonald wrote:

You seem to be missing the point that we have already paid for a router and are paying for a service from Virgin Media. They are not providing that service. People are perfectly entitled to complain about that and not to have to fork out £100 for a new router.

You are getting the service this it what you all wanted if you get a ready made PC built into a high end display and it can't run high end games why not complain then? Why do people go with having a display and PC box setup and not one thats all integrated?

0 Kudos
VegaNovus
Dialled in
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

You are getting the service this it what you all wanted if you get a ready made PC built into a high end display and it can't run high end games why not complain then? Why do people go with having a display and PC box setup and not one thats all integrated?

Because that's how the product is advertised.
Quite frankly this is getting off-topic and out of hand, the short of the issue is that it only started happening when the latest firmware update happened.
Beyond that, you don't need to comment.

0 Kudos