Menu
ptgb
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Gaming lag spikes getting ridiculous - Please help this is my job!!

For the last few weeks / months  I've been getting notable lag on games such as World of Warcraft and CSGO. It has now gotten to the point where I cannot play the games anymore because of the persistent lag 

for example on CSGO I jump around everywhere with lag and when I try to switch weapons I usually switch back weapons etc, constant lag stuttering. This isn't graphical lag as it's only present in online games

I make a living off making youtube videos and playing games so you can understand how frustrating this is for me. I haven't had many issues with virgin media in the years but this is a major issue that I hope can be resolved ASAP

I use an ethernet cable so the problem isn't wireless, I imagine this lag spike problem is always present but is most noticeable when playing online games

Any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED. My business is suffering and I may have to look into other internet providers in the meantime if this issue cannot be quickly solved

Thanks for any help

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming lag spikes getting ridiculous - Please help this is my job!!

if this is your "job" then pay for a business connection and get an SLA

if you run a business on the cheap via a residential line, then you have no case, and in fact you are in breach of contract. go read the small print. 

0 Kudos
ptgb
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I should reiterate

By business I mean I make a living from playing games on the internet, I have no staff, I am simply a sole trader working in the entertainment business

Is  a ~500£ a month internet connection really necessary for me to make a few youtube videos?   

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

the points were that the standard residential package do not guarantee any speeds , ping rates or service levels - it is all " up to  xxxMbs", and if you are in a heavy use area you are basically screwed

and its advisable not to say " I run a business"  when complaining as that can be used against you.

the only deals that claim to guarantee service quality are their business packages, as to whether they live up to that... dunno but unlikely IMHO.

but you need to look at whether any of the alternatives are worth having. I looked again at BT when the price rise annoucement came out. their predictor for my address  says standard broadband only & they can guarantee me 3Mbs and on a good day I may even get 10 ! 

so unless you are lucky enough to live in a BT infinity zone, it's cable or nothing, for any decent speeds

it's arguable that Vm don't really want the likes of you as customers, they prefer grannies who send the occasional 200Mbs email. Much less load on the network Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ptgb
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I probably shouldn't have mentioned that I was a full-time youtuber.. I guess its not that relevant to the issue but alas I can't seem to delete the thread

I've had 50-100mb fibreoptic virgin internet for the last 5+ years completely fault free and in the last couple weeks or so the ping has risen dramatically with unplayable lag spikes every few seconds.. this cannot be normal surely? I assumed there may be something wrong with the modem or with the infrastructure in the vicinity since it renders online games virtually unplayable

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

you'll get away with a single mention here. but if you do start filling out complaint forms, don't repeat it.

the most likely explanation is that VM have signed up a lot of new customers in your area, so the local bit of the network is now very congested. 

they do this, sales just keep on selling, area becomes overutilised, the investment then needed for extra network resources takes months or worse to come along..  some folks in other threads have been complaining for a very long time... search for over utilized

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi ptgb

Thanks for posting on the community, it's great to have you here.

Sorry to read that you are having issues with your broadband connection. 

I've managed to locate your account and can see that the downstream power levels are too low. For this I can arrange an engineer appointment to adjust these for you. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can go ahead with the appointment. Otherwise there are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running low.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos