Menu
AF041004
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Gaming constantly dropping out

Since our new neighbours moved in, also Virgin customers, my son's Xbox One has started dropping out on the majority of games.  This is a problem mainly in the evening so assume it's a bandwidth thing.

Put him on to 5G, and changed our channel to try and fix it.  I also have done the Status check twice now on VM and it acknowledges something is wrong, and tells me to reboot after 10 mins.

Having read up on the Forum, is this a cable / street hub issue?  I dread calling VM for tech support - long waiting times, and not a great customer experience to date.

Any advice gratefully received, and in words of one syllable as I am not a tech genius.

With thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming constantly dropping out

Hi AF041004,

Sorry to hear your son is having trouble with the Xbox. From what you describe this sounds very much like a case of wireless interference. Have you tried the xbox wired directly to see if you still get these drop outs over a wired connection? 

I've checked your connection and can see nothing to drop the xbox offline. Do any other devices drop off at the same time or is it just gaming? 

If wired isn't an option it may be worth looking into poweline adapters which make use of the electrical circuit in your house.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
AF041004
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Thanks for getting back to me.  

We've now installed additional Powerline adaptors upstairs (we've had them downstairs previously) which has improved the situation slightly, however the 5 Ghz still drops out from time to time.  I contacted the Helpdesk this week and they simply told me to do all that I have done already.

I believe this is about over capacity within our area - something the agent did say was being "actioned" re Street Hubs - however, that doesn't resolve the wifi channel congestion issues.  I've tried moving to a different channel within the 5Ghz spectrum but it hasn't improved it, and the auto feature is useless.  Is there any opportunity for Virgin to offer channel traffic scanning?  For me to do it personally requires purchasing very expensive software for a service I believe you guys should supply if you're going to install Virgin hubs in every home on my street! :-)  

My 5Ghz also continuously requests password entry which it then declines.  Once I reset the router, it then works for 24 - 48 hours.  It is never remains the primary channel selected by the device, even if you manually do it, it mysteriously reverts to 2Ghz.  I've tried removing 2Ghz from devices, only to get warning messages from my network about data use!

I've had this now for a while as both my new and previous neighbours have been with Virgin.  The only time it was ok was when one moved out and the other hadn't yet had you reconnected!  It's come to a head because of the whole gaming thing which is probably indulgent but just a catalyst for me to go through this again for the upteenth time.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

With kind regards

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi AF041004, 

Thanks for letting me know about your issues with your 5 GHZ dropping off and not accepting the password. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested the connection for you and I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, however you mentioned that when the 5 GHZ drops out it doesn't accept the password until reset, this raises cause for concern. I will need to replace your Hub, but before I can do so I will need to confirm a few details for you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with replacing the Hub for you. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Reading your issues you described with wireless connectivity can sometimes be a bit of a pain to track down and resolve.

For what it is worth, I personally moved away from using the SuperHub to provide WiFi a long time ago. You can either get a cable router to handle all the tasks of the superhub and place it in 'modem mode' or you can disable the WiFi on the superhub and purchase a wireless access point to just handle the WiFi (depending on the access point performance and cost it may be more worthwhile buying a decent cable router which does both).

I personally use the VM equipment in modem mode and use the Linksys WRT1900ac for all network related tasks - much more stable and the performance is much better.

Tom.

AF041004
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks, Tom.

I'll take the offer of the replacement hub and see if that works. If not, I'll DEFINITELY try your solution.

Many thanks
0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No problem,

Also if you have any smartphone (Android or iPhone or even a tablet from either) you can do a bit of WiFi analysis to search for dead spots in the house to see if it is possible to find a better location the hub or WiFi router to be. On my Android phone I use WifI Analyzer and it can show you the signal strength you're getting at various spots in the house, might help you if you decide to go down the route of a third party cable router.
0 Kudos