Menu
danjohnson2906
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Gaming - Quality of Line/Oversubscription.

Hello, I have recently moved into a flat with my father and he has brought his Virgin Media service across with him to the new property, Since then i have been "trying" to use his service.

For everything else it is perfectly fine but whenever i try to play ANY online game during peak times (5pm - 11pm) it is pretty much unplayable with packet loss and up to 85% choke, Meaning in FPS games such as CounterStrike: Global offensive I cannot even move or switch weapons or anything.

There is no BT Lines to these flats and there are approximately 15 other flats around us and by the looks of the cabling outside almost all of them have virgin media which i assume would account for the loss of quality during peak times.

Now I understand that Line speed has nothing to do with gaming and all that jazz but i was wondering if i upgraded from 50mb to the 200mb service would it potentially make any difference, and also if i did make the upgrade am i then locked into a contract for that price or if it is not good can i just downgrade again the following month?

i have the superhub 2 and 50mb service, i get around 50mb down (49-52) and 2.5-3mb upload, using a wired connection with a cat5 ethernet cable.

is there anything else i can do to try to fix my problem?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming - Quality of Line/Oversubscription.

In theory if you move from Super hub 1,2 or 2ac to 200MBps on HUB3 your speeds DOWN could improve marginally. But latency UP is likely to remain unaffected.

You need staff to confirm if you are actually suffering from overutilisation.

In fact if you are achieving near full speeds you may well not be. Over utilisation WILL affect speeds quite drastically at peak times..

There may well be other factors at play.

Can you set up a BQM

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

Dont forget youll need to make sure your super hub is configured to reply to ICMP echo requests...

0 Kudos
danjohnson2906
Joining in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Okay thankyou for your help, I personally do not think upgrading to 200mb will make much if any difference, but im not expert haha.

i think i have done this correctly, let me know if not: 

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/230af0d9e7a82ffc3bc9effe664166f3.html

0 Kudos
francisuk1989
Dialled in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Could be to things,

1) you power levels need to be checked over by calling 151 and this is the quickest way to resolve this issues or 2) The area is overloaded with other users on the same UBR node.

VIVID 100, Hub 3.0
0 Kudos
danjohnson2906
Joining in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have upgraded to 200mb like an hour ago as they said i could downgrade again next month if it's still crap, my ping keeps shooting up to like 400 and my upload is varying between 1-10 mb, this is really annoying.

is there another way to get my power levels checked other than calling 151 as i dont have a home phone connected, no use for one i have my mobile
0 Kudos
francisuk1989
Dialled in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Sure

Downstream

http://192.168.100.1/cgi-bin/VmRouterStatusDownstreamCfgCgi

Upstream
http://192.168.100.1/cgi-bin/VmRouterStatusUpstreamCfgCgi

or wait for staff to pick it up and decide what to do next Smiley Happy

Edit

Also the upload speed for up to 200Mb profile is up to 12Mb max however there is traffic management on the upload but not the download

VIVID 100, Hub 3.0
0 Kudos
danjohnson2906
Joining in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

upstream.pngdownstream.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

BQM is done right.

Your upstream power levels are a tad high, but within spec. If they move upward you have an issue. Wait for staff to tell you whats going on with your node and if they think bringing down your upstream power levels would benefit you.

0 Kudos
danjohnson2906
Joining in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

thanks, do staff check the forums often?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Replies are usually within 48 hrs of last post. Each time we reply , your thread gets kicked to the back of the queue as they answer oldest first. If your lucky it will get picked up tomorrow, if not, it will be Monday as they don't work the weekend.

You COULD take a punt on 150 but as your is a more complex case-

On paper your power levels are in spec, the script jockeys on 150 will likely knock you back for an engineers visit

Whereas the staff on here have some savvy and may make a different decision

0 Kudos