Menu
Andruser
Fibre optic
Message 11 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming Latency and Ofcom

We'd all like to think so.  But speaking for myself (and as somebody who has programmed computers for a living), I don't believe that all of the flaws of the Puma 6 can be resolved purely through firmware - the gutless and underpowered CPU, for example.  Added to which, the router side of the Hub 3 is poor, but not because of the Puma 6, so there will be little improvement there.

What's even more worrying is the total denial by VM that there is any problem.  In their last quarterly results, they made the comment "2.3 million or 41% of our broadband subscribers now have our best-in-class WiFi router".  Now, hands up who thinks the Hub 3 is in any way "best in class" for its wifi?  Who are they kidding, other than themselves?  The router of the Hub 3 is cheap junk.  The signal is weak, it is unreliable, it struggles with more than handful of devices, routinely glitches.  And VM think that's "best in class"

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Superfast
Message 12 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So being that I'm a Virgin Media Business customer, I don't have to deal with the remote based call centres and the web chat is usually perfectly good for getting things resolved, so we had a power outtage in my street, as a pro gamer team has moved in the house opposite and I think the additional kit they'll have powered up akin to the number of systems I have constantly running, and I think with the other neighbours (one of which has considerable house work going on) had just pushed a cable that was laid 30ish years ago to the max. So before I knew it was a power outtage as I could only see my ping graphs showing no response, opened web chat to notify them of a connection down, the web chat guy told me that around 200 other connections were effected, anyway after a long time chatting to him and asking several questions around VM's practices, he in short gave away why VM don't allow 3rd party routers and the reasoning is ABSOLUTELY diabolical and unbelievably stupid - he did however give me enough information for me to act upon to see if I can infact use a 3rd party modem so when I can pick one up at the end of the month I'll give it a try and report back on the results (he did confirm it IS possible), and I questioned about firmware patches (as thats how Sky find people who have brute forced the username/password out of their horrible sky routers and replaced them with better kit, when firmware patches fail - VM don't do this it just fails and nobody is fussed).

Second to that a day later I got an email informing me of advanced works notice, which supposedly is going to 'resolve the speed issues some customers are having in the area' whatever that means, with any luck, increasing capacity......

Anyway back on topic, the Intel Puma6 issue, may not be possible to be resolved by firmware patching, so you know what would be an easier fix? Just send out an alternative router/modem ONLY to the people that call up and complain that way if people don't know they're unaffected and don't care because as I've mentioned previously just browsing facebook and stream Netflix you're very unlikely to be aware of the issues, but yes the description of 'best in class' isn't accurate unless it tops a list of the worst router/modems

0 Kudos
Andruser
Fibre optic
Message 13 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VM obviously think that the latest patch is adequate, as it is being progressively released to customers.  I suspect that it will be enough to dramatically reduce the volume of complaints, and that will count as success for VM.  Some people might remain unhappy with things it doesn't fix, but I doubt there will be sufficient die-hards willing and able to force further action (eg use of customer provided modems).

If Ofcom or CAB got involved now, VM will simply wave the new firmware, say "we've fixed it, and this small bunch of customers are being unreasonable".  And I suspect that Ofcom and CAB do have more important things to address.

0 Kudos