Menu
smudgecat123
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Frequent ping spikes to router through wired connection.

Hi, I am finding it very difficult to play online games due to frequent ping spikes every 10 or 20 seconds.

I have isolated the problem to the "Super Hub 2" router which we are using.

I have pinged the router's default gateway (192.168.0.1) from several different computers over a wireless and a wired connection and they all experience the same frequent ping spikes which leads me to believe that the router itself isn't responding to requests quickly enough.

I have also tried switching on modem mode and connecting my computer to the only available ethernet port. I can access the internet but when I ping the modem's default gateway (192.168.100.1) I get the same frequent ping spikes.

The spikes themselves range from 2ms to 20ms which isn't huge but when your ping to a game server is 20ms and then it doubles to 40ms every 20 seconds or so, the resulting lag is very frustrating.

I'd also like to point out that I have lived in several different houses which had virgin media super hubs and I have never before experienced a response time of more than <1ms from pings over a wired connection, even when it was being used by other people in the house.

Here is an example of a ping test to the router over a wired connection: ping spike1.png

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frequent ping spikes to router through wired connection.

smudgecat123 wrote:

I have also tried switching on modem mode and connecting my computer to the only available ethernet port. I can access the internet but when I ping the modem's default gateway (192.168.100.1) I get the same frequent ping spikes.

Thats not a gateway its just a means to login to the modem not that pinging is that important but it may show a slight packet processing delay for some reason which should not really happen but at the very least this should stay under 10ms for 192.168.100.1.

Have to tried another PC and what OS are you using to ping 192.168.100.1 in modem mode?

More useful if you ping the VM WAN IP gateway your on (this is not your IP or 192.168.x.x) and setup a BQM for your IP

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

0 Kudos
smudgecat123
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the late reply, yes I have tried one other pc which had the same ping spikes to the router over a wired connection.

Both of the pc's are running windows 10 64-bit.

I'll try pinging my VM WAN IP gateway, will I be able to find the address through ipconfig in the command line?

I'll also try setting up a BQM, I expect to get a high ping if they are pinging the router simply due to the apparent processing delay, not due to any kind of poor broadband service itself (although I haven't been able to actually test the broadband service due to the inherent spikes from the router itself).

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

smudgecat123 wrote:

I'll try pinging my VM WAN IP gateway, will I be able to find the address through ipconfig in the command line?

Only if you have the WAN IP on your PC other then that it be listed in your own router setup.

0 Kudos