Menu
Robert_O
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Frequent packet loss throughout the day

Hi! This problem has only cropped up fairly recently (probably started around a month ago at most), but has been consistent since. Throughout most of the day (and night) I'll suffer constant packet loss on absolutely everything I use. Strangely it only seems to happen during certain hours of the day and then is fine again at others. I can go 3 or 4 hours with everything working perfectly and then it'll suddenly hit and I'll just constantly be losing packets no matter what I do for hours at a time again. It doesn't seem to be any sort of IP conflict since I've tried disconnecting everything else from the superhub whilst it's happening and the problem still persists. I figured it might be something on your end so gave it some time to hopefully resolve itself but it's become a huge problem when trying to play games since I'll get constant huge lag spikes because of it. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frequent packet loss throughout the day

Hi Robert_O,

Sorry to hear you're getting periods of packet loss. I've checked your connection and can't see anything that would cause slow speeds let alone packet loss.

Does this only happen with specific connections? Like only certain games?

Also where are you checking to see that this is packet loss? If you have a BQM graph feel free to share it here, it would be a great help for any diagnostics Smiley Happy

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Robert_O
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It happens with all games, skype, teamspeak, mumble, etc. Teamspeak specifically tells you your current packet loss to the server (will fluctuate from anywhere between 1-20% during periods where it's happening). In games it's just all the obvious signs of packet loss, rubberbanding, dropped inputs, etc. In every voice application it'll randomly cut out bits of people talking. I figured the problem might be on Virgins end since it keeps happening over extended periods of time. It tends to be okay from around 2am to 6am for example but will suddenly start happening around then and will be constant for hours. I haven't been keeping track of exact times of it starting/stopping since I can't always tell immediately if I'm not actively playing something. It has been happening for the past couple hours though (10pm~12pm), not sure when it actually started though. I assumed if it was a problem with my superhub it would be a constant thing or not so consistent on when it starts and stops happening. I just set up a BQM graph here:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/28492c16c24d13d7e98c101830b40c56.html

My actual download/upload speeds or ping don't ever seem to suffer, it's just literally a ton of packet loss for hours at a time. It's just making playing any online games a bit of a nightmare.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Robert_O,

I can see the latency spikes quite a lot but I'm not seeing any packet loss on your graph. 

As it's seemingly around 10pm and 12pm I would usually assume peak time contention is to blame but this remains around the same level all day. 

Is there any change in usage in the house hold when this happens? For example does someone start streaming Netflix around these times?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Robert_O
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, strange it's not showing on the graph. What's the best way to test and find out where the packets are being dropped? I tried pinging my router in command prompt and it's not losing any packets there, teamspeak is telling me I'm losing a pretty consistent ~5% right now and I'm getting a lot of dropped inputs in Final Fantasy XIV now too.

As for when it happens, it's randomly at all hours of the day really, at first it seemed like there was certain time windows where it would and wouldn't hit but yesterday I was getting it throughout the entire day, even during the late hours of the night where it's usually alright. My family do use Netflix often, but that's never caused issues in the past and I still have these issues when nobody else is actively using the network.

I reset the superhub a couple of hours ago and the ping spikes have disappeared off the graph, but I was still losing packets like usual from the moment it rebooted.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Robert_O,

Thanks for letting me know. I don't think Netflix or other streaming will be causing this issue with packet loss but it would explain the latency spikes. It may be somewhere along the route your connection takes so a traceroute and ping test to the FF14 server you play on would be great. I'm not 100% sure how we can do the same for skype but if there are exchange servers they use then a ping and trace to these would be great for diagnostics too.

0 Kudos