Menu
Alistair66
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Frequent lag spikes

We had an engineer out today due to our lag issues and he replaced our hub, but it hasn't made any difference. He said everything was fine but he didn't seem to do a thorough job testing and stared at me blankly when I attempted to discuss quality issues, packet loss etc.

We've had quality issues in the past and engineer visits and they resolved eventually. I suspect some of this may be due to new houses being built locally.

We are on 220mb download and have never had issues as bad as this for as long. Devices are hard connected.

Seriously considering switching. I was on BY before and whilst the speed was worse the quality was better with zero issues in 6 years.

Please Help!
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
INeedHealing
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Frequent lag spikes

Thing is the SH2 wasn't working fine. So that isn't the problem from what he said before. If it is happening any time of the day I assume this is happening even after work on the new houses has stopped and it has been happening for 10 days. This seems to be a larger scale problem than just a super hub. Especially if it has been replaced. 

0 Kudos

All Replies
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you have a SH3 is a well known issue.

Read this link

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Alistair66
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. We were getting the issues on a Hub 2. and yesterday the engineer replaced the Hub 2 with a Hub 3 and we're still getting the latency issues. The latency issue only started about 10 days ago. My three boys and I could all be playing online games with ZERO issues. Now with even just one person playing, we're seeing rubber banding. It's also causing me issues with remote desktop for work.

I've ordered a Netgear router and I should get this tomorrow. I'll report back if this fixes the issue.

0 Kudos
RidingTheFlow
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You should've made a BQM graph to check. Most likely your previous issues were due to network (as you said some new houses connected maybe messed up the balancing).

They should've fixed your network, but you should not have allowed them to take away your SH2 (if it was working fine). Now that they have "upgraded" you to SH3, you will never get rid of periodic latency spikes (well, unless VM fixes SH3 which I doubt happening at this point). You may not see obvious rubber banding, but you will miss some shots ever so often (since SH3 spikes are happening ~once per minute).

This is SH3 vs SH2 on good connection:

SH2-SH3.png

0 Kudos
INeedHealing
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thing is the SH2 wasn't working fine. So that isn't the problem from what he said before. If it is happening any time of the day I assume this is happening even after work on the new houses has stopped and it has been happening for 10 days. This seems to be a larger scale problem than just a super hub. Especially if it has been replaced. 

0 Kudos
Alistair66
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes its happening at all times of day and night.

Had I known about the SH3 issues I would have mentioned that to the engineer, but I suspect he would have said he had to replace the unit anyway. 

If the Netgear Nighthawk router doesn't fix things I will have no choice but to change provider. We're all gamers and invest a lot of time and money in the hobby.

You'd think Virgin would be on top of this. A lot of people go for their top broadband packages because they play online games...

0 Kudos
Spitfire16
Up to speed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Your netgear wont' solve the issue - the issue is the Hub 3

0 Kudos
Alistair66
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I was getting the issue before I got the hub 3, but I understand it will now be worse...

0 Kudos