Menu
Baron_Badger
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Frequent lag spikes making some games unplayable

For the past 1-2 months we've been getting constant lag spikes where our ping goes from 50ish  up to 1000+ which is just ridiculous and playing LoL for example gets you heavily punished. 

Our ping before this started happening (this has happened multiple times over the past few years also btw) was a stable 33/4 which is bearable and has seemed to have crept up by 10ish over the past couple years for whatever reason (used to be around 22-24).

However now our ping is a minimum of 37 midday but fluctuates between 45-70 during peak hours without the lag spikes. But then out of no where these lag spikes happen and they increase our ping momentarily to 100+ during midday and 300+ during peak hours.

Also, when downloading something our ping skyrockets and bogs down the entire connection. Say I'm downloading something on my computer, my son who's playing LoL will get a huge lag spike pinging for 400+ until the download is finished/stopped. Even just doing an internet speed test makes his LoL ping at 100ms+.

As I stated earlier, this has happened before and I have posted on here a couple times about it so here's our power levels and BQMs from the past week.

All use ethernet and have SH2 btw.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jones933
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frequent lag spikes making some games unplayable

Absolutely the same issue here. Ive been following these topics and Virgin keeps claiming nothing is wrong in their end when in truth their services are 110% congested. I'm having the same issue as you and ive had nothing done about it after a dozen calls. Packet loss happening every 5 seconds and its not even close to gaming-compatible anymore. Absolutely ridiculous. Seems to happen at peak times so from around 5PM to 9PM every. single. day. 

0 Kudos
carlitobrigante
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

exactly same problem here, using a superhub2 with a wired connection.

I have started my own thread, but i have managed to rule out every other cause and it is definately a fault at virgins end.

I see so many threads that have no further posts once a virgin media rep replies to the thread saying they have messaged them tips on how to solve this. I then see no follow up posts and so i presume the problems got fixed.

If this happens to you would you be kind enough to update your thread with the outcome? I will do likewise.

Every single game played online will have crazy lag / stuttering / packet loss every 5-10 seconds. My internet is mostly used for gaming, and looks like i am going to have to go through the hassle of changing ISP.

If anyone has fixed this by buying a new router and putting the hub into modem mode, can you please give us more details, and any recomendations for a good router to buy. If i end up going this route i will be expecting Virgin to cover the cost of the new router by giving me some compensation.

0 Kudos
Baron_Badger
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I'll post in here if it does get resolved but I'm honestly not expecting them to 'fix' it, they'll end up saying its not a fault on their end (which it obviously is). Last time the guys on here said everything looks fine then they sent out an engineer just to make sure and he also says everything's fine but clearly it isn't and nothing ends up happening. You just have to wait until it magically fixes itself. This is what happened to me last year anyway. 

But right now I'm not seeing much point in staying with VM. What's the point in paying a lot of money for a connection that is highly unstable and being throttled so heavily? I may as well switch ISP which will be a hell of a lot cheaper and more stable albeit at a slower download speed. I would most likely get a much better ping than the 34ish I was getting before this lag started happening also.

0 Kudos
Baron_Badger
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Little update, we just upgraded our tv package which included signing a 12 month contract ofc so we won't be switching isp however it would be nice for our internet to be fixed considering how much we pay/have payed a month for the past 15 years odd. A reply from a member of the virgin media staff would also be nice Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
Baron_Badger
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yesterday's bqm to show it's still happening. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Baron_Badger, 

Thanks for getting in touch I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with lag spikes. 

I have taken a look and your modem SNR is a little on the low side so I would like to get  an engineer out to have this corrected for you. 

Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner.

Looking at the stats you have popped up I can see there is a number of Post RS errors, do they start to climb again when you re-set them? 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi jones933,

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have also had trouble with lag spikes. 

I would like to take a look at your connection to try to get to the bottom of this but I am unable to locate your connection details. 

I will pop you a PM requesting some more information and we will take it from there. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi carlitobrigante, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have also had trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and it seems you are affected by fault ref F003996142 for slow speeds at peak times. I have popped the details across to the team that deals with this type of issue and they will contact you as soon as they can with some more information. We should have more news after 25/01/2017. 

Are you using a wired or a wireless connection? 

If you are using a wireless connection try a wired one as it will make gaming more stable. 

Do you find this happens more at peak hours, if it is also happening at other times let me know what sort of times you notice the issues occurring and I will investigate further. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

0 Kudos