Menu
Andy2002
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Free Vivid 200 upgrade?

Hi all.

I had a phonecall from a nice lady last week telling me that as part of Virgin's Home Help or Upgrade or Expansion or Experience (I forget the exact wording) I was eligible for 4 free services from Virgin's broadband, such as antivirus, malwaer protection etc.

More importantly, she also said that i could upgrade to the vivid200 gamer package. Skeptical, I asked how much more that was going to cost me because according to the upgrade page on my account it's going to cost me a LOT more per month - but she said it would be a FREE thank you for my loyalty to Virgin over the last few years. Then she said that she was having system troubles and would call me back, and I've heard nothing for over a week!

I wouldn't be so anxious about it except that i'm currently being throttled very, very heavily in the evenings and weekends and I'd really really like to see an end to that, which apparently vivid200 can provide.

So - has anyone else had a similar phone call and/or received a similar service? For various reasons I believe the call to have been legit', and I'd love to take them up on their offer!

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Free Vivid 200 upgrade?

Hi Andy,

what is the current package you're on now, you don't have to go into specifics but I'd be keen to know what broadband package you're currently getting.

Having a quick look you may find the following of interest. In short your upload is the only thing affected by traffic management and that is between (dependent on service) 11am and 11pm, your upload speed is halved for 60 minutes a further reduced if you exceed another point.

They may want to tier you off legacy services which I know has happened before from personal experience.

This is a good starting point and depending on your usage it may be worth monitoring your connection as well to see how it performs. Check here.

Tom.

0 Kudos
Andy2002
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. According to my account page I'm on VIVID152, but i'm sure it wasnt called VIVID when it started a few years ago. Thank you for those links - I've had a look but it's not the upload that I'm having issue with, only the downloads. During off-peak i'm getting ~20Mb/s down according to Steam/uPlay/Origin etc, but in the evening that drops to 1-3Mb/s, and streaming media stuttering even with nothing else downloading and no other devices using the connection.

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It does sound like a fault if you're getting so little throughput.

They're (VM) are likely to ask for some details such as the signal levels on your line to your modem. These can be found by navigating to the superhub web user interface, not logging in a clicking on status in the top right corner, it will take you to the pages you can find the signal levels etc. I'm no expert in this so I won't pretend to understand them!

My Broadband Ping - Home

If you can set up the BQM like the one above you'll at least be able to provide more detailed stats to any technical support staff that are either on the forum or over the phone, you can easily describe the issues you're facing.

0 Kudos
Andy2002
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your input - i'll get that programme and take it from there. I'd assumed that because it was happening at peak times only it was a tariff thing. I'll do some monitoring and then maybe give the help desk a call. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

slow down at peak times is pretty sure to be utilisation - wait for VM to get here to confirm that or not

you say

I'd really really like to see an end to that, which apparently vivid200 can provide.

utilisation affects all speed tiers if it exists - no idea where you got the info for that comment - offshore maybe?

to the free upgrade and free services - no idea - sounds like a sales agent trying it on - talk to retentions - if there are notes on your account then the offer could stand - if no notes then who knows

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
Andy2002
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your advice. The wording under VIVID200 which reads, "No traffic management" made me assume that there was traffic management on other tariffs, which perhaps my current tariff was subject to. Are you able to explain briefly exactly what 'utilisation' means in this context please? Is it high usage in one area, or penalising one user for high usage? If either of the above are effecting me it sounds like my options are limited, but i'll speak to retentions nonetheless.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

utilisation is when too many people share the same cable and are using it at the same time - hence slow down at peak time but full speed in the early hours of the morning - you certainly describe the symptoms - it can be other things and its worth posting the upstream and downstream levels from the  SH

log into superhub - 192.168.0.1 - DON'T SIGN IN, click router status [top right] - and post the downstream and upstream figures

if it is utilisation you could be in for a long wait for it to be resolved - many months if not years - VM will confirm or not - a fault number will get you a reduction in your bill

no traffic management as said above only applies to the upload side of the connection - there has been no traffic management on the downstream for quire a while

Tony
0 Kudos
chriscdotcodot
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've heard from a number of people that "gamer has no traffic shaping and you'll get all the speed all the time".

Today when I had this from an outbound retentions guy I had to stop him in his tracks and correct him. NO. I wont get "all the speed all the time". I wont get a 50% reduction on my uploads if I go over the FUP during certain hours but everything else is network congestion limited.

I had to explain it to him that just because the motorway has a 70mph limit doesn't mean you can do 70mph all the time. If everyone is on the motorway cruising along at 70 you can join them but if there are too many cars for the motorway and there are a few problems everyone grinds to a halt. Me in my Lambo that can do whatever mph and the guy next to me in his £200 fiesta will both be stuck at 20mph until more people pull off the motroway and leave me on a clear road again

0 Kudos