Menu
tinahowdle
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Fluctuating latency whilst playing online games

Hello, 

Whilst playing any online game (League of Legends and Rocket League mainly), my ping fluctuates between normal (19ms-35ms) to high (150-300ms) to very high (500ms+) at any point when playing. This has been happening intermittently over the past 6 months and over the past week - almost constantly. Generally, I am very happy with the Virgin broadband service but for some reason over the past days, the ping/latency delay has become unbearable and renders any online game unplayable. I don't know whether this is an area-wide issue or just isolated to my connection. I use a wired/ethernet connection, this issue happens anywhere within the house.  

I can post any information required to fix this problem eg. traceroutes and ping examples. 

Thank-you very much. 

0 Kudos
shikariunite
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fluctuating latency whilst playing online games

What platform are you using? Pc, xbox or ps?
0 Kudos
tinahowdle
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

PC

0 Kudos
tinahowdle
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Here is a traceroute and ping to bbc.co.uk at 21:34 on 18/01/17:

ping to bbc.co.ukping to bbc.co.uktraceroute to bbc.co.uktraceroute to bbc.co.uk

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello tinahowdle

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are suffering from intermittent poor latency it can be quite frustrating when gaming. The connection itself looks good, area traffic does pick up a bit in the evening and may increase packet times a bit but it is not too bad. What seems to stand out is upstream usage Virgin Media broadband traffic management policy, something to consider is if one of your devices is using up bandwidth then your gaming packets will queue and hence lag a bit.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
tinahowdle
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

Thank-you very much for the response. Is there a way for me to find which device is using the most bandwidth? There have been no new devices added to my network since the issue began occurring, the latency was perfectly fine until about 3 weeks ago. As of typing this message, my ping to a Western European server is 445ms, over 10 times as high as normal.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello tinahowdle

Thank you for getting back, I have taken another look at the connection and the answer is still similar. Area traffic does pick up in the evening and may increase lag a bit but your upstream usage may also be detrimental to it. I do not believe there is a way to see which device is doing it or even if it is just a single device. Due to data protection restrictions I am not allowed to discuss individual traffic management instances but if you give us a call we will be happy to discuss further (150 from a Virgin media phone line or 0345 4541111 from others). 

It is possible to temporarily place the hub in Modem only mode , connect with a cable to see how that goes although the rest of the house may not be too happy.

When you mention a high ping to a particular server if you could manage a traceroute to it that may be more revealing.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
tinahowdle
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Here is a traceroute to the EUW LoL server at 19.42: 

lol trace.PNG

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello tinahowdle

Thanks for that, when compared with usage data it does seem to suggest a possible bandwidth issue in the house, what about if you try Modem mode on your Virgin Media Hub to eliminate the other users please.

Thank you 

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
tinahowdle
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank-you very much for the response. 

I have tried using modem mode but the issue continues to occur. This issue has been going on for a month now and is starting to get very unpleasant. Is there anything else you can suggest?

0 Kudos