Menu
waqarqureshi27
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Fluctuating Ping During Gaming

Hi. I have a 50 Mbps Virgin Media Fibre Broadband connection, and I am wired directly into the router. I get massively fluctuating pings when gaming. The normal ping is around 20-30ms which is fine, but every 10-20 seconds the ping spikes, sometimes to 200-300 ms and sometimes even more. This is a constant problem I have been having for the last few months, and it doesn't seem to correlate with any time of day. When I do a speedtest, the ping is fine and the speeds are no issue, so I am unsure to what the problem is. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fluctuating Ping During Gaming

Just so you know, you're not the only one with this problem, I've also made a thread and it's getting utterly ridiculous now playing any games on this connection, I really wonder if we shouldn't make a protest thread or something about this because this problem has been going on for months for me and the support lines are always utterly useless.

Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Have you set up a BQM to monitor the service?   http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi waqarqureshi27

Welcome to the forum. I'm really sorry to hear of the problems you have been experiencing with ping times. I've had a look at your hub/network segment and I can't see any issues that stand out that would cause you a problem. Were you able to set up a BQM graph as Dave_cq suggested?

Speak soon

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
waqarqureshi27
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Totally agree with everything you said j0s800. It is really frustrating because the actual connection is super fast but what's the point if you have such an unreliable ping. Virgin media market themselves as the market leader in broadband, and I really expect more from them. It seems to be a widespread problem in these forums. 

0 Kudos
waqarqureshi27
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Thanks for replying. Will be trying to set up a BQM graph to monitor the service and will report back what I find.

0 Kudos