Menu
wotusaw
Superfast
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Firmware update 9.1.93V

Has anyone at Virgin Media got an idea when this will be downloaded to the HUB3's. 

The following issues were resolved in release 9.1.93V:
2.3.1 TCP/UDP/DNS Latency Issues
Tracking No.
PD 24878
Description
Multiple latency issues have been observed:
- UDP upstream delays during rate-limited TCP traffic
- HTTP delays under heavy TCP Ack load
- Slow HTTP session initiation
- Slow DNS responsiveness
2.3.5 Ping Latency Intervals Too High
Tracking No.
PD 22502
Description
The time interval to receive a response to a transmitted ping is longer than required by subscribers with time-sensitive applications
2.3.7 DNS Latency Issue
Tracking No.
PD 23345
Description
Under certain conditions, the modem may drop DNS packets, causing the applications to retransmit and increasing latency of DNS queries.

The above firmware 9.1.93V is a fix for latency problems with the HUB3 which causes web pages delay in loading and also adds considerable latency to online fast past gaming.

There are a thousand posts about this but here is the first one that kicked it all off..

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion

And incidently the puma 6 chipset bug, as it's known will not allow you to connect a modem such as a Netduma to cure it. It just messes with the attached modem as well.

deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Firmware update 9.1.93V

I don't know if that would be the firmware version virgin would refer to it as, but I doubt it will be anytime soon, they are often behind the times
0 Kudos
boomish
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've a new Superhub 3 I am desperate to get fixed, although it's better than my previous which was giving me huge  disconnects, now it's constantly high latency and if I'm gaming packet loss. The result it teamspeak cuts out and I get disconnected from game servers, even browsing websites pages are slow to load . I am now thinking it's not my connection (which has been fine on superhub 2 for years) but this new modem..

I am hoping Virgin release this new firmware fix soon..

I just checked and my hub is on 9.1.116V

isn't that newer than .93?

0 Kudos
wotusaw
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I presume Virgin have the technical expertise to deal with this problem. Here is a whole world of information about the 'puma 6 chipset' bug.

http://thenitwitts.enjin.com/forum/m/28206608/viewthread/29787370-titanfall-2-lag-which-turns-out-wa...

It's not Virgins fault. I would have thought they have a case if it ever goes that far.

However it is very bad for 'fps' gaming and as you have noticed, browsing on the internet as well. I count...1/2/3/4 before most pages load. Getting my a*** kicked on Titanfall 2 with 20 years 'fps' play experience behind me by an obvious noob is no fun either.

I have a terrific connection. 220MB/20MB gamer vivid. Could not be better. Virgin have recently done a wonderful job of fixing it. Love is too small a word for how I feel about the tech who fixed the line.Smiley Happy

However the 'puma 6 chipset' problem messes it up with absolutely no mercy.

It's all a bit technical but think the latency occurs every 100 seconds and then continues for 100 seconds..it's one of those cycle things.

I could be wrong but all I know is it's big trouble in little modem town.

Yes, you would presume 116V is newer than 93V but no, 93V is the one the boffin Gods are working on at present. I have the same one as you, btw.

Look down the page of this enormous post and enlighten yourself....

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion~star...

Incidently we all owe someone called 'xymox1' for discovering the problem in the first place..he's a hero.

0 Kudos
DarkBahamut
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'd credit the good folks here that I saw reporting this issue more than year xymox1's thread myself. It's a shame VM didn't seriously follow up and investigate on the issues in that year gap.

All we can hope now is that VM test and roll out a fix in due course and finally get the SH3's latency to where it needs to be.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

wotusaw wrote:

Has anyone at Virgin Media got an idea when this will be downloaded to the HUB3's. 

The following issues were resolved in release 9.1.93V:
2.3.1 TCP/UDP/DNS Latency Issues
Tracking No.
PD 24878
Description
Multiple latency issues have been observed:
- UDP upstream delays during rate-limited TCP traffic
- HTTP delays under heavy TCP Ack load
- Slow HTTP session initiation
- Slow DNS responsiveness
2.3.5 Ping Latency Intervals Too High
Tracking No.
PD 22502
Description
The time interval to receive a response to a transmitted ping is longer than required by subscribers with time-sensitive applications
2.3.7 DNS Latency Issue
Tracking No.
PD 23345
Description
Under certain conditions, the modem may drop DNS packets, causing the applications to retransmit and increasing latency of DNS queries.

The above firmware 9.1.93V is a fix for latency problems with the HUB3 which causes web pages delay in loading and also adds considerable latency to online fast past gaming.

There are a thousand posts about this but here is the first one that kicked it all off..

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion

And incidently the puma 6 chipset bug, as it's known will not allow you to connect a modem such as a Netduma to cure it. It just messes with the attached modem as well.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/gaming/message-id/30999

Datalinks post there explains what 9.1.93V has to do with HUB3's firmware. To summarise "very little". Dont expect a fix next week.

0 Kudos