Menu
MannyQ
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Fed up with Virgin

So ill try an give some history. I have a netduma gaming router and quite knowledgeable around IT etc so here we go my last hope before i decide to leave virgin.

Day 1: Since getting an upgrade to the virgin media superhub 3 i have been getting intermittent drops outs daily poor latency and unable to play games such as black ops 3. I have contacted virgin and they have responded with 

Prathibha:It seems that the settings that you've got on your router/extender/booster isn't compatible with the Hub and affecting the connection. 

Day 2 Contacted netduma who are experts in networks who basically  said its bull. But told me to prove this by disconnecting everything from virgin hub and connect laptop direct to hub with Ethernet cable and run ping plotter to look for jitters. I did this and got the following on the first try this was on a vivid 200 package ran for 3 hours

virgin 1.png

Netduma response to this

From the picture you posted there is a hell of a lot of spikes. Can't see any cut outs specifically in that plot but if your connection is that un stable I am not surprised it's been cutting out.

I then contacted virgin support 1st line couldn't help so put through to 2nd line who said they could possible see a issue but would send an engineer, i don't hold out much hope as the last engineer just swapped out my hub 2 , which to be honest did not drop out but i was not getting the full speeds, all he did was swap out to hub 3 and now its highlighted the issue even more.

Day 3 noticed virgin had released a new package Vivid 200 gamer and contacted support to see if this new service may help my issue anyhow they upgraded to vivid 200 gamer and its worse than ever. Took more ping plotter traces 

virgin.pngSo you can see from the image above what I am dealing with drop outs totally erratic  network spikes and dodgy latency.

The plots are direct to the Hub 3 in modem mode with a cat 6 cable with no one else on my network taken at peak times for 3 hours

Is anyone in virgin an expert that can sort this out so i have no spikes and low latency considering I am paying a lot of money for the vivid 200 gamer its pants. 

0 Kudos
MannyQ
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fed up with Virgin

So virgin upgraded me to the vivid gamer and failed to tell me this would need me to sign a new 12 month contract which I don;t want to do as i am still having issues , engineer came out today and still no joy. So since Friday evening from 7pm till 11pm and then again from 1600 till 1834 i can not get through to either customer support or faults as i want them return me back to my previous service so that i can cancel my broadband if the issue is not fixed within 14 days. I go through all the options then to be told 5 min wait , and put on hold listening to crap music then 3-4  mins get cut off. I have given up counting how many time in the hours i have been trying to get through this happened. Totally sick of Virgin please if any customer support read this Forum contact me as I have had it to the back teeth

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello MannyQ

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry for the wait and the problems you had contacting us, we will do our best to help via the forum.

To begin would it be possible to post the router modem stats, levels and log please "To access open a browser, navigate to 192.168.100.1 no need to log in just click on "> check router status" in the middle of the screen" They are most likely okay but best to be sure.

Looking back at the historical data I am unable to see any problems in the area that would cause intermittent drops. 

Forgive me if I have missed it but I am not seeing any problems on the first image you posted as all pings are returned from the BBC in good time. (It is okay for intermediate routers to not respond or have high ping times as this is treated as a low priority job while handling live traffic speedily)

On the 2nd graph I am not quite sure if it contradicts itself as there is no PL% to the BBC but some red packet loss about 2010/2100/2130 on the time graph, sorry if I am misinterpreting it.

To be honest pinging the BBC and using that as a measure of your connection performance may not be the best way forward. Would you consider setting up a Broadband Quality Monitor and sharing the result with the community, we are all eager to help!

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
MannyQ
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi not to worry i have cancelled my service with Virgin as they could not help resolve the high latency , drop outs etc and was fobbed of by 1st line support. I did set up a quality monitor and could see the high latency and high packet loss. When I tried to provide this to the support team they stated and I quote we do not recognise external monitoring tools as a basis of raising an issue

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello MannyQ

Thank you for getting back, I am sorry we did not manage to help you in time. I wish you all the best for the future.

Take care

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos