Menu
alinscr7
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

FIFA 17 Lag Spikes/Freezes/Crashes alongside other Online connectivity issues

I assume it would be much easier to tackle my issue in a separate thread, hence why I've decided to make this one. Likewise to many different threads, my issue relates to FIFA 17 in specific, but is relatable to other online games such as League of Legends, however the connection issues there are occasional, whereas connection issues with FIFA 17 are permanent.

The service has been constantly getting worse year by year, starting with very poor connection every single day from 7pm-11pm. To be quite frank, if the service cannot perform at peak times, what is the point of it? The vast majority of users have internet to use at peak times, not in the morning.On top of that, the price of the contract keeps going up year by year, with the justification of improvements to the service which are no where to be seen.

Moving away from that, a couple of weeks ago I started dealing with this high latency in FIFA, where the game performs sluggish and lags constantly. I have contacted EA support on numerous occasions, and could not find any resolution as they claim the issue is not on their end. The only factor that I can think of that may be coming from my end is that I formatted my PC a couple of weeks ago, around the time the issues started. Thus, I am now here. Find attached screenshots of all the relevant information I could think of.

traceroute to easo.ea.comtraceroute to easo.ea.compinging two of the IP's where the ping is high, both having packet loss. 

Best regards,

Alin.

0 Kudos
alinscr7
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: FIFA 17 Lag Spikes/Freezes/Crashes alongside other Online connectivity issues

Any updates? I have been unable to play the game for almost a month now, getting somewhat impatient.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: FIFA 17 Lag Spikes/Freezes/Crashes alongside other Online connectivity issues

Slow speeds and connectivity issues at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed and no issues at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting over a year for a fix.

FYI The forum team respond to the oldest post waiting for a reply. This means if you keep posting on the thread then it will bump you to the bottom of their list. For the quickest response, post once and they will get to you as soon as possible.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hey alinscr7,

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering lag when playing FIFA 17, I appreciate how difficult this can make things.

I've run some tests and I can see the peak time issues you mention, is FIFA lagging all the time, or only during peak times? Are you playing it on PC or a console? Is it connected via ethernet or is it wireless? I'd recommend popping the hub into modem mode to test if it's any better.

Looking at the provided tracert & ping tests, I don't see any particular points of concern. The trace finishes up with a response of 111ms - 115ms, which to a US server is to be expected. I don't see any problems, the dropped ping tests seem to be to Prolexic servers, these could have ICMP as a low priority, hence the dropped packets. 

Could you re-run these tests in modem mode please? I'd recommend tracing to the EA servers to replicate the path being taken when you're gaming. Get back to us when you've had chance to run those tests, if those are showing problems we'll be able to do some further network-level checks to find out where the problem lies.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
alinscr7
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello again,

First of all, I would like to apologise for taking this long to reply. I have been away for a couple of days, and then straight after had to study for an exam coming up. In terms of the lag in FIFA 17, I have found out that in my case it was down to a hardware issue, where the game would force my CPU to 100% usage. Messed about with a couple of settings and dusted out the PC, problem solved. So that's alright, really glad I found a fix for it.

However, in terms of the actual internet connection I'm still facing issues, with the ping and download speed usually being awful. I understand that during peak times the connection will be slower than normal due to high usage by other users in the area, however it gets to the stage where I am unable to watch a youtube video in 720p, not to mention that gaming is mostly impossible. The download speed drops to anywhere between 2-6 MBps, making it up to 35 times slower than the download speed advertised in the 70MBps download speed package we are currectly paying for. Is there any sort of solution for the extremely poor connection during peak times? Is Virgin Media looking to improve the connection in the area, or will they just carry on increasing the contract fees every few months and nothing will change? (I think it's worthwhile mentioning I have been dealing with poor internet performance during peak times for almost two years now).

Best regards,

Alin.

0 Kudos