Menu
Shanehavant
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Extremely slow when downloading

Hi, we have a superhub and it says our connection is fine but my son ( who has a pc and Xbox upstairs) is having trouble downloading. He says it's downloading at 300kbps. This doesn't mean much to me but other people download the same games in less time.

Anything we can do about this. It isn't a new problem he's always had connection problems upstairs it isn't much better downstairs.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extremely slow when downloading

I'm guessing the PC and xbox upstairs are using a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired connection is always best.  As a test you could bring the Xbox downstairs to see if it is quicker when connected to the hub with an Ethernet cable.

If the wired test is successful the one solution might be power line adapters.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.  Some powerline adapter reviews here:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/20-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Shanehavant
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extremely slow when downloading

Hi, yes. They are upstairs. Could give the adapters a go. We did think it wouldn't be better to connect with an Ethernet cable but then you have to deal with long leads and sorting all of that out? Will look into the adapters and try that first. Thanks.
0 Kudos