Menu
djob9601
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Extremely High Ping

For the past 3 weeks I have been getting extremely high ping when connecting to any server (for gaming or not). I ran a trace route from my PC and the error appeared to be on virgins side and not mine since the high latency occurs when it is connecting to virgins network. However, I have repeatedly ran tests via the virgin website which tell me that there are no problems in my local area and that the network should be running fine. How should I take this from here?Capture.PNG

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extremely High Ping

stop downloading or uploading.

0 Kudos
djob9601
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Those traceroute times suggest that the problem is outside of the network though

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

djob9601 wrote:

Those traceroute times suggest that the problem is outside of the network though

Only if you understand what your devices are doing and if your connection is idle and most don't know what their connection is doing. I've come across way too many posts that many people don't get how tracert works. All your seeing and thinking is “well it can't be me just look at 192.168.0.1” No its not that simple made worse that none of the Super hub/hubs have QoS at its end there is none nothing its a simple egress rate limit that everything goes into nothing is splitting traffic into flows to give each traffic fair egress out on your upto limit it just buffers it all.

The only QoS being done is at VM gateway which if the available bandwidth is around to give to you for your upto limit then you buffer because of what I just said.

now if you want you can get your own QoS to deal with that under given conditions

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Since-200Mbit-upgrade-buffer-bloat-mass...

0 Kudos
djob9601
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

is there any way to monitor each devices bandwidth usage then? or will I have to go oldschool and unplug each device individually and see what makes a difference
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If your in router mode then monitor each device may not help its the total rate you want but you can use NetWorx but thats only for windows
https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

in modem mode you can get routers that show the total rate second by second but you have to check what ones do.

0 Kudos