Menu
simlewis
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Experiencing lag when playing PS4

Hi! Hopefully someone here can help me as i'm losing my mind trying to solve this!

When playing FPS games like Overwatch on PS4, i'm more often than not treated to pretty serious lag making the game pretty much unplayable.

I've contacted VM a couple of times about it who say there is no issues they can see. A helpful reddit user suggested I check my up/downstream power levels which gave me these results; Downstream levels are all between 7-8, and upstream has US-1 & US-2 with 41.50 while US-2 & US-3 just say N/A.

The only thing I have noticed which may be abnormal is massive variance in download speeds when testing connection on my PS4. I tried plugging straight into my superhub2 and did 5 tests all one after the other, and got  download speeds of 112mbps, 12mbps, 9.5mbps, 57.2mbps and 40.8mbps.

I'm not sure if that is normal or not, I'm just a bit lost and thought it could be relevant. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Experiencing lag when playing PS4

simlewis wrote:
The only thing I have noticed which may be abnormal is massive variance in download speeds when testing connection on my PS4. I tried plugging straight into my superhub2 and did 5 tests all one after the other, and got  download speeds of 112mbps, 12mbps, 9.5mbps, 57.2mbps and 40.8mbps.

I'm not sure if that is normal or not, I'm just a bit lost and thought it could be relevant. 

Do you not have the PS4 plugged straight into the hub normally?  If not how do you normally connect?

The Sony speed tests used by the PS3 & PS4 are infamously bad and can often give very different results from minute to minute.  I found a speed test that works on the PS4 browser and might be more reliable, try this site in the PS4 web browser: http://testmy.net/multithread

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos