Menu
cotch
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Experiencing a lot of packet loss and high latency issues when gaming. Would love some help..

Currently running the BQM thing ive noticed others ask for in other posts. Will post details asap. It's not just a single game for me but a huge range of games. I have tried restarting the hub. It's on both consoles and pc. Just seems to be a packet loss issue. We've had 2 engineer visits in the area recently so there must have been an issue, but after these 2 visits the internet is still unreliable and disappointing.

Any information i can post to help identify the problem? i'm getting really frustrated with this now to the point i'm close to finding a new provider and switching to the openreach network, something i never thought i'd do.

My postcode is PO9 if that helps.

0 Kudos
cotch
Joining in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Experiencing a lot of packet loss and high latency issues when gaming. Would love some help..

I cant even seem to login to my hub either via 192.168.0.1
0 Kudos
cotch
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Experiencing a lot of packet loss and high latency issues when gaming. Would love some help..

finally managed to login after restarting the router.. But i'm not able to locate the power levels.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cotch,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting packet loss. I've just tried to check your connection to see what could be causing this but was unable to locate your account.

I've just sent you a private message requesting some information so that I can investigate this further.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cotch,

Thanks for responding with your details. I've now checked your connection and can see no issues from here. Your power levels, SNR and area contention are all healthy. The graph you sent me looks ok but there are some pretty big spikes. 

The next time you start getting packet loss and latency could you make a note of the date and time and post the graph again for us to check and compare with our own graphs?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
cotch
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It's happening again John, sent you a PM. Not sure if the same graph is still running or not, but it's been all afternoon. Huge packet loss/choke issues same as before. Really frustrating.
0 Kudos
cotch
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/9df3adb7a2b8a8027aaecad71cce5292.html

There's the graph, that looks very messy compared to how it was before.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Reboot your super hub router mode if you want it stable over a long time use modem mode.

0 Kudos
cotch
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

But then i get no wireless? that's really not a fix. My internet costs a lot compared to other providers on a monthly basis, in order to be able to use it without packet loss and latency issues i am supposed to compromise the functions i purchase it for? Modem mode isn't an option sadly. Nor should i have to purchase another router in order to benefit from wireless..

While i appreciate the help, i don't think that's the way out for most people. It's virgins shoddy service and equipment that needs to be sorted. We are out of contract so if things continue down this route they will definitely be losing our custom.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

cotch wrote:

While i appreciate the help, i don't think that's the way out for most people. It's virgins shoddy service and equipment that needs to be sorted.

The equipment would have been fine if VM didn't keel over to the demand of a all-in-one router.

You might be lucky to get a replacement newer super hub/hub but your contract will renew so are you feeling lucky?

0 Kudos