Menu
Rafix2k15
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Error PSN ws-39397-9

So, today came back from work and my playstation is giving me error code ws-39397-9 when I try to log in into my PSN. Still no fix for that?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Error PSN ws-39397-9

This could be Sony blacklisting your IP address, which is not something VM can fix.  The easiest way to test this theory is to put your hub in modem mode if it is in router mode or vice versa as this will assign you a new IP address.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just checked back through my old posts and found that other users that have posted on here with the same error were indeed being blocked by Sony because of their IP address.  Here is one of my old posts with more info:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/Psn-blocking-on-ps4/m-p/3082226#M21602

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Rafix2k15
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I tried my superhub in modem mode, when it gives me a different ip PSN works fine... So actually what You saying is, to get another router, put superhub in modem mode and give signal to new router to provide wifi at my house?

I am just tired try to fix it, sooner or later it can happen again and then what, change ISP? Sell my PS4? This is the thing that psn should take a really good look in it, investigate properly!
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'm not saying you HAVE to get a new router, I'm just saying that you need to have a different IP address to get round the blacklisting by Sony of your previous address.  The IP addresses dynamically assigned by VM are often quite "sticky" so even when you switch off the hub for a few hours you can still end up with the same IP address when you connect again.  If you are unfortunate to get assigned an IP that somebody else has used and abused then you have to either wait out the ban (I think it is usually around a week or two) or try and get a different IP address.  AFAIK the only guaranteed way of getting a different IP from VM is switching from router mode to modem mode or vice versa.  So if you want to use modem mode permanently from now on, then yes you will need a new router to handle wireless.

Personally this stickiness has been helpful as it means I have had the same IP address for quite some time now (months, if not years I think) and so as long as I don't do anything on PSN to get banned I should be OK on my PS3 & PS4.  I rarely turn my hub off and even when I do it is never for more than a few hours overnight and as a result I keep getting the same IP.  Is this because I'm using modem mode?  Maybe, as there are less VM customers using modem mode so probably less churn and recycling of IP addresses compared with those in router mode.

Not saying that Sony's system isn't flawed, but the alternative could be a PSN that is regularly down due to DDOS attacks or online games full of cheaters making it a lot less fun.  It is disappointing that Sony don't have any appeals procedure as a way of helping innocent users caught out by the dynamic allocation of IP addresses that all ISPs use.

I know it isn't much consolation but you are not alone, the PSN forums are full of posters around the world having the same difficulties.  Maybe one day Sony will take notice and come up with a better system.

0 Kudos