Menu
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Enough is enough, these ping problems are a menace

I have actually been quite politely putting up with these ping problems for months and possibly even years now because there would be random periods where everything would work absolutely fine. However in the recent couple of years these problems have been getting worse and worse. Sometimes the problem fixes itself, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes the support staff spot a genuine problem then other times they're in complete denial and try to claim it's the 'game servers' which to me seems more like a liability cop out than attempt to actually fix the problem.

Game servers do not simultaneously suddenly die in terms of ping, that just doesn't happen. Especially if they are all on seperate server hosts and networks. This is exactly what has been happening to me, It doesn't matter whether I am playing Battlefield 4, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive or Ark: Survival Evolved.

Here's some screenshots to prove my point, I'm getting extremely sick of these ping problems. I try resetting the modem and so on which can fix the issues for a time but then the ping spikes start coming back very quickly and there are times when resetting does absolutely nothing at all.

There was awhile back when I had these problems and an engineer was sent who for the most part was helpful and did check for any other issues after fixing the main one which turned out to be a problem with power levels in the cabinet itself however as far as he was concerned if the diagnostic software they were using didn't show any problems there wasn't anything more they could do.

So tell me, if it isn't Virgin Media that is having this problem? Then what? Am I supposed to go around to every single games developer I've had ping spike problems with and demand an explanation? That's ridiculous and you guys should realise that.

Ping Spikes 1.pngPing Spikes 2.png

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Enough is enough, these ping problems are a menace

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/aa5378583aab8adc5eae3ebb0af856fc.html

Here's the BQM that I have, I'll keep it running throughout the day but I can report now ever since that I disabled the firewall at the router settings I have had absolutely no problems with gaming and the connection has actually been running incredibly well so I don't really know what to tell you. It could be this is to do with port forwarding and so on as you say but in the end by doing port forwarding you're still exposing the router anyway so I wonder if it would be better to keep this standard software off and maybe have a third party firewall running that doesn't cause so many problems.

In the end I still have firewalls on the home PCs anyway so they're still protected but it's ridiculous that they've been causing this many issues and if they have then virgin media are going to have to do some updating on their software to fix this issue.

I can't find any other explanation for this behaviour because I had tried almost everything else, it can't be the Superhub 3, because that's brand new, the only reason we had one is because our old Superhub 2 died recently. It can't be the bandwidth throttling anymore because as it turns out in the policy we don't get affected by that and so on and since disabling the firewall was the only thing that did it then this is it.

I'm personally just happy that I can play games smoothly for once lol Smiley Tongue I had been putting up with this obnoxious issue for years.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

• Which HUB do you have?
  • How are you connecting to it?
  • Do you have any other symptoms (web pages slow to load for example) or is it JUST in game ping being high?
  • What does a wired speed test using CAT5E straight to HUB, default server, to speedtest.net  say?
  • Is it the same throughout the day, or worse in the evenings?

0 Kudos
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

. Superhub 3 however I only got this recently and the problems have been just as persistent as on Superhub 2 we recently had a total failure of our hub and it got replaced

. Wired connected directly from the router I don't use wireless for heavy use precisely because of the kind of problems that can happen with it

. Everything else actually works quite well, downloading is fine and browsing is normal unless something happens specifically from the cabinet and so on it's specifically just the ping it's a very persistent problem and what happens often is I try doing the usual thing of restarting the connection which sometimes fixing it but then the ping spikes immediately start coming back after an hour or so depending on how bad it is

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5546633277

. While it can be very random at times and get bad during the day as well as night it does get worse during peak times but it's still very persistent unless I restart the modem and then the ping spikes start coming back again.

I've always wondered this about my connection, but to me it feels like there's something being suspiciously 'switched on' in order for it to behave like this I had originally wondered if it was bandwidth throttling of some sort but it's very diffcult to tell and since virgin media aren't giving me straight answers I'm having to make a topic about it here to complain really because it is an utter nuisance for multiplayer gaming.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Okay there's a few different issues there I think- firstly throttling..VM do throttle but its on upstream only...

Thresholds

depending on your package it can be fairly easy to hit if you are doing some streaming to Twitch or similair, or using P2P.

If its kinda all the time, could be an issue with power levels- can you post your upstream and downstream stats from the HUB3's login page?

Lastly, set up a BQM

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

Dont forget you'll need to make sure your super hub is configured to reply to ICMP echo requests...which with HUB3 means switch the firewall OFF

0 Kudos
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Downstream

Channel Frequency(Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR(dB) Modulation Channel ID

1299000000537.3256 qam31
23230000004.636.6256 qam34
33150000004.937.3256 qam33
43070000004.637.6256 qam32
52910000005.137.3256 qam30
62830000005.137.6256 qam29
7275000000537.3256 qam28
82670000004.637.3256 qam27
92590000004.337.3256 qam26
102510000004.437.3256 qam25

Upstream bonded channels Channel ID Frequency(Hz) Modulation Power (dBmV) Mode Channel Bandwidth(Hz) Symbol Rate (ksps)

732600000ATDMA4016 qam64000005120
546200000ATDMA4016 qam64000005120

There were problems detected during our last engineer visit which were to do with power levels at the cabinet and that did fix things for a time but then the ping spikes immediately started kicking in. I do download quite regularly but as you say the throttling shouldn't be affecting my gaming because that's a completely different area and going by that logic if it was throttling why is it not dramatically affecting my browsing and download speeds? They all work fine, it purely seems to be a gaming problem, I do make sure to turn any downloading and uploading off before I game as I do know that dramatically affects things by itself.

I should be on an unlimited package at 50mb now as we were upgraded from a 20mb package recently so realistically there should be no bandwidth limit to hit, unless there's something that virgin media aren't telling either of us going on, I'll run the BQM and let you know what's happening.

0 Kudos
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Right, so I've got a BQM test and I removed the firewall as asked so it will work and in doing so I just came across something very curious. Hopefully I'm not just jumping to hopeful conclusions but all of a sudden their don't seem to be ping spikes anymore. Now I don't know whether that's just because of the time of day so I'll have to check things out in the evening as well but is it at all possible that the firewall is the cause of all of this ridiculousness?

If it is I'm going to be pretty annoyed with myself as well as virgin media because they could have at least mentioned this as a potential problem but I genuinely don't seem to be getting the wild ping spikes anymore so I'm just going to have to play some games to see what happens because sometimes it's been like this and then it suddenly kicks in while I'm gaming again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Could be, but its not a known problem AFAIK...

Post the BQM when you have 24hrs or so worth, at least well know then

0 Kudos
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Will do, I'm genuinely not getting any problems though despte this being the usual time frame when the ping spikes kick in, I wonder if I shouldn't turn it on again just to see.

Here's my personal theory on why it wouldn't be a 'known' problem virgin media have their tick lists and the last thing they'd ever do is tell people to switch off their firewalls if they have problems generally and it's only with games that there tends to be any trouble with firewalls generally. Now why they decided to blame the 'game servers' for these types of problems I don't know, but I knew it that was *********** I'm surprised though that simply turning off the firewall had this much affect it might be worth trying it and seeing if it works for anyone else that has ping spike problems.

For the record I am talking about the actual router firewall on the suberhub 3 you told me to turn off, I know it was done for diagnostic purposes but that seems to have fixed it, I haven't had such a smooth connection in years and this was before Superhub 3 when I had 2. If it turns out that the large amount of gamers' problems has been to do with the router firewall, virgin media have some explaining to do, the only way I'll be able to confirm for sure though is to play with the firewall and test it out over the next couple of days.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

j0s800 wrote:

Will do, I'm genuinely not getting any problems though despte this being the usual time frame when the ping spikes kick in, I wonder if I shouldn't turn it on again just to see.

Here's my personal theory on why it wouldn't be a 'known' problem virgin media have their tick lists and the last thing they'd ever do is tell people to switch off their firewalls if they have problems generally and it's only with games that there tends to be any trouble with firewalls generally. Now why they decided to blame the 'game servers' for these types of problems I don't know, but I knew it that was ********* I'm surprised though that simply turning off the firewall had this much affect it might be worth trying it and seeing if it works for anyone else that has ping spike problems.

Whilst its certainly a possibility, I would say its more likely that switching it (firewall) off has exposed the required ports to the net. But I'm open to doing some checking around it for you if it seems to cure it on an ongoing basis...so more of a workaround than a fix, especially considering running the HUB longterm without a firewall is not a great idea.

But stick with it we should be able to work it out...

0 Kudos
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/aa5378583aab8adc5eae3ebb0af856fc.html

Here's the BQM that I have, I'll keep it running throughout the day but I can report now ever since that I disabled the firewall at the router settings I have had absolutely no problems with gaming and the connection has actually been running incredibly well so I don't really know what to tell you. It could be this is to do with port forwarding and so on as you say but in the end by doing port forwarding you're still exposing the router anyway so I wonder if it would be better to keep this standard software off and maybe have a third party firewall running that doesn't cause so many problems.

In the end I still have firewalls on the home PCs anyway so they're still protected but it's ridiculous that they've been causing this many issues and if they have then virgin media are going to have to do some updating on their software to fix this issue.

I can't find any other explanation for this behaviour because I had tried almost everything else, it can't be the Superhub 3, because that's brand new, the only reason we had one is because our old Superhub 2 died recently. It can't be the bandwidth throttling anymore because as it turns out in the policy we don't get affected by that and so on and since disabling the firewall was the only thing that did it then this is it.

I'm personally just happy that I can play games smoothly for once lol Smiley Tongue I had been putting up with this obnoxious issue for years.

0 Kudos