Menu
carlitobrigante
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

End of my tether! Awfull jitter / packet loss / lag in all online games

So for the last couple of months i have terrible lag / stuttering, in all online games. The games run flawlessly except for strange lag / stuttering every 10 - 15 seconds.

It took my a while to realise the problem lay at Virgins end. I have experimented with opening ports, disabling firewall whilst i play, i even bought an external network card as i though my internal network card may have been faulty.

After spending hours updating my bios, graphics card drivers, re-install of windows etc the problem persists, and i have now managed to narrow it down to either my superhub, or virgin line is faulty.

The main reason i have my broadband is for my gaming. Can anyone from virgin offer any help before i am forced to go through the hassle of changing ISP? I really dont want to have to give Murdochs Sky any of my money, and have been really happy with virgin till now.

In the event Virgin cant help i am willing to buy another router and try the superhub in modem mode, but would appreciate any recommendations.

0 Kudos
carlitobrigante
Joining in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: End of my tether! Awfull jitter / packet loss / lag in all online games

also frustratingly, 9/10 times i cannot access my superhub settings. 

I have to re-set / restart my router every time. 

0 Kudos
carlitobrigante
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

also it is a superhub2, not a hub3

0 Kudos
carlitobrigante
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

attached graph showing the spikes when gaming. It is a wired connection, and has been tested with firewall disabled. help!

ef39754d979abc1b640971f45a2c0868-19-12-2016.png

0 Kudos
carlitobrigante
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

why doesnt this forum let you edit posts!

I need to mention that the latency / lag spikes i expierience are not just occuring at peak teams, i have tested as late as 2am - 4am with the same problems.

I am at the point of just giving up and changing ISP as the amount of other users posting identical threads in this forum and not getting a fix is absolutely amazing, and proof if needed that this is a serious problem at Virgins end which is affecting lots and lots of users.

I imagine many others are affected, but as they don't play online games they just don't notice it. The problem for me makes games like Battlefield 1, Starwars Battlefront, and other games that are online only and have lots of players (10+ players) are unplayable. For multiplayer games with only 2 - 4 players the lag is still there but is less severe, and the games are just about still playable. If i had stuck to playing single player games i would not know i had a problem. General internet browsing etc is normally fine.

0 Kudos
carlitobrigante
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

anyone? has been a futher 2 weeks now since my original post.

I stupidly spent yet more money trying to fix this, by buying a new gold plated internet cable for the wired connection to the router. My latency has if anything gotten even worse now as the thinkbroadband graph shows.

Can someone from Virgin contact me asap please, i'm keen to see if there is anything we can try to fix this, before i start going down the cancellation route. Having a good connection for online gaming is by far the most important thing for me when it comes to an ISP. 

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Carlito

It can take mods a fair bit of time  to get round to stuff posted on here, even more so it being Christmas and all.

All speeds are slow at the moment, and it took a while for me to get 70Mb when I was upgraded from 50 last year.  My speeds are around 20Mb at the moment.

You can edit your post using the "edit post" option (under post options) on the top right of each post (you get about 20 minutes time to do so).

I'll flag your post for a mod to get to you as you've been waiting for a long time.

I've flagged your post and hopefully a mod will reply soon.

Cheers

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hey there carlitobrigante,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I sincerely apologise for the slow speeds and connection issues you're experiencing, I know this can be inconvenient.

I've just run through a few checks and I can see that there's currently a fault in your area. The ref is: F003996142 and it's due for review on the 25th Jan. While this is on-going you might notice that your speed is reduced during peak time hours, which is typically evenings and weekends.

How does your connection perform off peak?

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
carlitobrigante
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather

Thanks for getting back to me.

To be honest, even at off peak times (late night gaming sessions untill 2am!) it is still unplayable, though i have been away for a few weeks and havent been able to test it recently. 

Any further update following the review you mention on 25th Jan?

0 Kudos
carlitobrigante
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Still as bad as it ever was. This has been going on for months now.

I see many related threads from other users, but most seem to be using suberhub 3.0, whereas i am still using superhub 2.0

Packet loss is making every online game unplayable. I am in the Birmingham area. Until approx September last year online gaming was smooth and problem free. Since then i have spent god knows how many hours trying to resolve this, and paid money for new cables etc.

Can i have an update asap please? Am i best to just change providers?

Image below shows yesterdays graph, the 11pm packet loss was when i tried to play some online gaming =

59943eda7c6cc05165fc125ce9b2bf7b-25-03-2017.png

0 Kudos