Menu
Joining in
Message 11 of 138 (384 Views)

Re: Dreadful Packet Loss - Ongoing issue that is not going to go away VM!

I think I am having the same problem as that guy, me and my friend are getting the packet loss at what seems to be the same time every time one of us is getting rubberbanded in a game the other is as well its been happening for over a week now and happens during multiple games and discord and we live miles apart

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 138 (369 Views)

Further evidence, if more was required, that packet loss is ocurring at exactly the same time as a drop in connection speed (obviously).

Ping plotter running to google.com and uTorrent downloading Ubuntu Desktop

About 20-23 seconds in to the video the speed of the download craps out at the same point that packet loss to Google occurs.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 13 of 138 (367 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have been getting packet loss for just over a week now and its getting worse. Getting to the point that I'm looking at other suppliers for broadband and TV.

heres latest bqm for my connection

5afea3d8c8f6612e0b6b9a244820b6a7-13-03-2017.png

The speed isn't the issue as that is fine its the packet loss that is screwing up multiplayer games to the point they become unplayable below is dslreports.coms speed test. I have capped upload as the bloat was horrendous but my router won't allow download capping. 

11926700.png

I'm in ayrshire in smallworlds old franchise which was bought by virgin 2 years ago. Smallworld at least acknowledged faults and didn't deny that something was wrong. 

Superuser
Message 14 of 138 (356 Views)

[ Edited ]

mbozaritchie wrote:

Further evidence, if more was required, that packet loss is ocurring at exactly the same time as a drop in connection speed (obviously).

Ping plotter running to google.com and uTorrent downloading Ubuntu Desktop

About 20-23 seconds in to the video the speed of the download craps out at the same point that packet loss to Google occurs.

Shut down Utorrent. Test.

The only thing running pingplotter whilst Utorrent is active will tell us is that HUB's have no QOS, which we know. If you are gaming with Utorrent running, your latency will be truly horrible.

On a seperate but related note, Utorrent+large swarms= HUB falling over unless you know what you are doing with upper connection limits.

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 15 of 138 (344 Views)

Your packet loss is constant so your line needs to be checked.

The Utorrent is another issue.

Tuning in
Message 16 of 138 (333 Views)

Im in Ayrshire to t_jam68 same issues as this thread
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 138 (330 Views)

I'm not daft enough to attempt running uTorrent (used only for new linux distros btw Smiley Happy) and online gaming at the same time Smiley Very Happy

Given my background in IT Infrastructure, I'm pretty confident in my ability to set max connections on uT (currently at 2k), but uT was only running as an example of a consistent download load on the connection while demonstrating the packet loss in conjunction.

Interestingly enough, I too am in the previously Smallworld serviced area (North Ayrshire), however I do understand that this issue is not limited to this one geographical region.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 18 of 138 (321 Views)

ScottishChamp wrote:
Im in Ayrshire to t_jam68 same issues as this thread

Im in South Ayrshire(Troon) and its totally not playabe.

My Broadband Ping - David McClung
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 19 of 138 (315 Views)

I'm in troon too suffering the problem and my friend was in Kilmarnock so that sounds like more than a coincidence 

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 138 (299 Views)

Derby area here. An Xbox 360 network test reports an average of 160ms of latency where previously (as of about 3 weeks ago) it was 18ms or so. This is also affecting Network Time Protocol (NTP) services (see graph below). The blue line in the image should be horizontal, flat and up at the 20 on the right hand side of the scale. Since the latency went all to heck, it's up and down like a yoyo in a lift. I've seen NTP experts blame this on Virgin Media's upstream provider (NTT, I think). Why is this relevant? Because online gaming and NTP both use UDP.

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 11.20.24 pm.png

0 Kudos