Menu
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do I need to upgrade to Hub 3? Gamers package

Hi,

I am currently considering upgrading to the gamer package.

My question is will I have to upgrade the hub from 2ac to the 3.0?

I use the hub in modem mode only and my router is a Netgear R7800.

Thanks in advance,

May the force be with you,

MOA.

HUB 2ac in modem mode, Netgear R7800 Router, a wee switch & NAS.

My Broadband Ping - MOA VM Monitor
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do I need to upgrade to Hub 3? Gamers package

AFAIK the Gamer package can only be activated on a line with the Hub 3, however once the activation has taken place there is anecdotal evidence on this forum that VM can then roll back to your SH2ac if you request it.

Using the Hub 3 in modem mode will avoid many of it's issues but the latency issue caused by the Intel Puma 6 chipset will still exist even in modem mode.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi There,

Thanks for the update.

What I need then moving forward is for a member of staff to confirm here that they are willing to role it back to 2AC for me as by the looks of it the HUB 3.0 is better being a paper weight and the 2AC is the best so far.

Surely though they should be able to upgrade without the 3.0 and what is the technical reason it cannot be activated on 2ac if a roll back can be done?

Thanks again for your help.

MOA.

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Don't upgrade to the SH3, its got way to may issues. The firmware and chipset are just 2 so far.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I dont plan to bud the puma seems a problematic animal that will never be tame by the looks of it

MOA.

0 Kudos
SirThomas
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just an FYI 'MasterofArts' (also going to update the main Hub3/Compal latency ticket for reference)

I just called the 'thinking of leaving us' line, as I needed a bill change and was rather eager to get hold of a SH2AC to solve the latency issue (the forum staff simply don't reply to, or acknowledge issues in personal messages on here).

Although I was put through to India, the tech confirmed to me that the 'Gamer' plan will work on both the SH2 as well as the SH2AC (he offered to post me either!) I don't believe he had the foggiest idea about what latency was, however. A 'hard reboot of the hub' was requested and politely declined Smiley Happy

In conclusion, they will send me a SH2AC, but have also confirmed that I can keep the Hub 3 for upgrades/checks going forwards.

A satisfactory resolve I feel!
Hurrah.

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Glad you got it sorted out.

I ended up cancelling the gamers package as I wasnt getting the speed.

I was then told by a member of the VM team that maximum speed in my area just now is 150 so no point paying for gamers package.

MOA.

0 Kudos
SirThomas
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

MasterofArts wrote:
I was then told by a member of the VM team that maximum speed in my area just now is 150 so no point paying for gamers package.

Seems odd that they'd say that - So much for promoting premium tier plans! Smiley Very Happy

A well-educated guess of 150meg due to congestion?

Tom

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thats what im putting it down to aswell. lots of intermittent speed issues again I would say is caused by congestion.

Hopefully this is eventually sorted through all the planned upgrades they have.

MOA.

0 Kudos
Guybrush85
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

SirThomas wrote:

MasterofArts wrote:

Seems odd that they'd say that - So much for promoting premium tier plans! Smiley Very Happy

A well-educated guess of 150meg due to congestion?

Tom

I would be surprised if Virgin actually admitted they couldn't hit full speeds due to congestion. My experience and many others is that they will sell you 'up to' all day long, even knowing the area struggles to get half of that, if even that. 

It may be the area is waiting on a CMTS upgrade, possibly, but honestly I think the person he spoke to is just misinformed. If your hub is binding 8 DS channels, it can do it. What I will say is the gamer package though will not making your gaming experience any better. An increase in upload does not matter unless you were hosting. It's really for those people who stream gaming and therefore can make use of it, so unless you @OP fit that bill, then save the money Smiley Happy

--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey
0 Kudos