Menu
Connorwoods97
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Disconnecting online every 60 minutes - Part 2

Hello, so I contacted Virgin Media god knows how many times since I moved in on July 1st 2016 (I.E. changed providers to VM) and since then I constantly crash when gaming online every 60 minutes or so. The crashes are merciless and don't stop any time of the day. I have tried every fix under the sun most of which involved the alteration of settings in wireless signals, to which are useless since I connect to the internet in my house 100% wired ethernet. Just to make it clearer I will list what I have already done just in case.

-Cleared DNS

-Set my DNS Lease times to over a month each.

-Opened port forwarding and triggering for every port of the games given to me by the games manufacturer

-Re-installed the game like 8 times.

-Changed the position of my Hub in my room, it is completely unobstructed.

-I have added the games to every exclusion list for all my anti virus, the firewalls both on my PC and on the hub itself.

-I even had an engineer come round to "fix" the errors to no avail.

On a side note, the engineer that came round kept telling me that there is issues with my downstream power levels causing crashes, which makes no sense as my hub is not disconnecting completely, just ever so slightly to knock me off my game. These crashes also don't occur when I'm browsing online or watching a film or whatever which is what makes it weirder. The web team at VM also keep telling it's to do with downstream power levels which are scheduled to be fixed December 12th I think they told me, which A.) Is not an acceptable time frame to fix an internet issue like this given it will be nearly 6 months since I moved in and B.) if you type your post code into VM's website and "troubleshoot" your connection you find nothing for my post code. Absolute joke from your team there.

Leading on from that last comment it may seem obvious to think "it's a problem with the game, nothing on Virgin Media's end is faulty", well I have contacted one game provider, The Elder Scrolls Online, multiple times and given them a copy of the game's diagnostic tools report and they open it up and tell me it's a problem with the connection dropping at the hub. 

Forum post to ESO Link here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/285324/game-crashing-to-login-screen-every-50-mi...

Scroll to the bottom and the team tells me it's coming from VM.

I have also attached a copy of how my ports have been set up in the photos bit.

I have read a lot online and people have found a lot of success in simply changing their hub, however when I ask I am blanked and the question is dodged. My patience is wearing thin and I shall be withholding payment for next months bill if it is not fixed as you are not providing me with the service I am paying for.

Thanks, Connor.2.png3.pngUntitled.png 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Disconnecting online every 60 minutes - Part 2

Connorwoods97 wrote:

On a side note, the engineer that came round kept telling me that there is issues with my downstream power levels causing crashes, which makes no sense as my hub is not disconnecting completely, just ever so slightly to knock me off my game. These crashes also don't occur when I'm browsing online or watching a film or whatever which is what makes it weirder. The web team at VM also keep telling it's to do with downstream power levels which are scheduled to be fixed December 12th I think they told me, which A.) Is not an acceptable time frame to fix an internet issue like this given it will be nearly 6 months since I moved in and B.) if you type your post code into VM's website and "troubleshoot" your connection you find nothing for my post code. Absolute joke from your team there.

Hi Connor

online games are much more susceptible to fluctuations in your connection than web browsers or video streaming as they need a constant connection.  Video streaming involves buffering of data to smooth out any minor traffic drops or slow downs. So if the issue is not significant enough to force the hub to disconnect completely then maybe other applications are just coping with the glitch and that is why they still work for you.

Not all issues are listed on the Service Status pages, it is usually only used for listing short term outages.  Have you been given a fault reference number for this downstream power level issue?  If it is a genuine issue that is being worked on (rather than just hearsay from an engineer) then there should be a reference for it.

Have you tried a test with the hub in modem mode?  This usually rules out any issues with data not getting to the correct port due to routing issues in the hub, which are not unheard of.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Post a traceroute to the ESO servers.

Post the BQM you were previously advised to set up.

0 Kudos
Connorwoods97
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I can't use Modem mode because that knocks off all wireless signal to the hub in my house meaning my other 4 house mates won't be able to connect with their phones and what not, and Kippies, instead of coming at me with some sly digs why don't you try explaining what your acronyms mean and help me come to a meaningful solution.

Thanks, Connor.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

'm not getting sly digs, I assumed you had done it. As you didn't reply to your previous thread, the assumption would be that both you knew what you were asked to do and that the problem had been resolved.

Set up a BQM (Broadband Quality Monitor)

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

Dont forget youll need to make sure your super hub is configured to reply to ICMP echo requests...

BQM.jpg

On HUB3, just switch firewall off (temporarily) to enable it. BTW if your gaming wireless, could well explain why your getting disconnected. Is it possible to run a cable to the router? Have you a couple of power line adapters handy?

As for modem mode, SCA was simply asking you to try it as a diagnostic, not to permanently run the router that way.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote: As for modem mode, SCA was simply asking you to try it as a diagnostic, not to permanently run the router that way.

Indeed, which is why I said "Have you tried a test with the hub in modem mode?" the key word being test.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Connorwoods97
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate the help people but you can see why I'm frustrated after it happening for so long and I'm not even getting help from the VM team, it's superusers like you that are having to reply to people's comments.

I will install the BQM and get back to you tomorrow with the results, also Modem Mode didn't fix it while I temporarily enabled it and I game 100% via ethernet.

0 Kudos
Connorwoods97
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

4df3c6c265cf4001b4ab5716d0bac0c9

Thats my BQM since last night at midnight. I disconnected again at 16:09 to the same circumstances. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Connorwoods97, 

Thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear about your issues with your broadband connection disconnecting. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and I can see that you're only locking onto one upstream channel, an engineer will need to attend and investigate this further for you. I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking.

Please respond to me there and I'll get this all booked and secured for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos