Menu
Astro2000
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Difference between internal and external IP?

So am I correct in thinking that you have an external IP which other people can see and then the internal IP Address which is different for each user on the network? What effect does having a static IP for one of  your internal IP addresses do?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Difference between internal and external IP?

Astro2000 wrote:

So am I correct in thinking that you have an external IP which other people can see and then the internal IP Address which is different for each user on the network?
Yes

What effect does having a static IP for one of  your internal IP addresses do?

If you wanted to forward ports to a particular device, like a game console, to work around issues like NAT types etc or you wanted to put a device into the DMZ (also a work around for NAT1/2/3 issues.) You'd need to add a DHCP reservation which would lock that LAN side IP for a particular device (static IP.) No other device could obtain it.

In a hypothetical example: If you say, set up a forward to 192.168.0.7 (the IP address your game console may have at the time) and this got your game console NAT2 type (yay.) But you had not set a DHCP reservation (static IP) then when you powered on your game console again, it would get a new IP, which would not be the target of the port forwarding. So the console would slip back to NAT3 type. With a DHCP reservation defined for a device, the device would always get the same LAN side IP address.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Astro2000
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cheers.

Do you know how I can get an open nat on my PC? I have tried disabling firewall on both my pc anti-virus and the superhub 2 but it's still moderate. I'm guessing I have to start port forwarding? And will this require a static internal IP for my pc?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Astro2000 wrote:

Cheers.

Do you know how I can get an open nat on my PC? I have tried disabling firewall on both my pc anti-virus and the superhub 2 but it's still moderate. I'm guessing I have to start port forwarding? And will this require a static internal IP for my pc?

Open NAT, well, to more easily get that the way would be to link the PC directly by Ethernet cable to the Superhub (using the Ethernet port closest to the coax cable.) Then put the Superhub into modem mode (link.) Your PC would be the only device able to get online while the Superhub was in modem mode.

NAT type 2 and NAT type 3 are generally obtained when running behind a router. And it can be hard sometimes to get open NAT with port forwarding / DMZ.

Port forwarding would be the safer of the three possible ventures, but may only bring it to NAT type 2. First assign a DHCP reservation for the PC: Browse to http://192.168.100.1 - sign in. -> Advanced Settings -> DHCP Reservations. Select the PC from the device list then click the Add Reservation button and apply the changes. Then go into port forwarding (also in Advanced Settings) and forward the ports the games you play use to the PC's static IP you just set in DHCP reservations. Apply the changes and then test.

Alternately you can undo all of the port forwarding, and add the PC to the DMZ (security concerns here, esp. if you disable the firewall. Same applies for the modem mode test.) DMZ is also found in the advanced settings.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Astro2000
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What will DMZ do? Will that open all the Ports and if so, what are the consequences ?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Astro2000 wrote:
What will DMZ do? Will that open all the Ports and if so, what are the consequences ?

It will put the device specified in the DMZ, outwith the protection of the router. There are various possible implementations of it (DMZ) that a router manufacturer can choose from if I recall right and said implementations are more technical than its actual concept. Once the device is in the DMZ, it is exposed to the Internet with no protection other than its built-in firewall (if any.) If the firewall is off or it doesn't have one to begin with, it wouldn't be too good an idea to leave it in the DMZ when you're not gaming on it. Having a game console in the DMZ isn't really an issue security wise (as they're locked down systems with minimal attack surface.) However, a PC is a different story entirely.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
Astro2000
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Would you be able to help me setup a VPN on my super hub 2? I want to protect my IP address from DDOSING.
Is this possible on a super hub 2?
0 Kudos