Menu
Greyback23
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

DS Lite, 3DS XL and Virgin Super Hubs 2

Greetings and factual Salutations to all here.

Allow me to introduce myself firstly before I get down to my query. I am Greyback, and before anything else I offer my factual apologies for how I type and my speech pattern. Both are due to my Autism, Aspergers and multiple subtypes of OCD, I simply thought it prudent to explain this first.

Now that this explanation has been done, permit me to explain my query:

Whilst I am new to this forum, I am not new to technology although I know only whatever I have needed to do my factual work or what I am trying to do. Hence when I came across something I could not figure out or there was no information of use online, I decided to go to this forum and ask those more aversed in the subject.

I purchased a DL Lite multiple months ago and then attempted to connect it to the available WiFi my familial circle and I use/pay for which is a Virgin Super Hub 2ac, I discovered after months of trying different factual things and learning information I needed, that it was not possible nowadays to even connect a Nintendo DS or DS Lite to Virgin WiFi anyhow.

Such was a slightly drawback as it meant I was unable to obtain a few rare items for the games in question, however has not much hindered my main gaming, simply made it solitary which honestly does not bother myself at all as I am not really alone yet fine with such as most games I play are by myself.

However I am perhaps going to purchase a Nintendo 3DS XL in the next few months following after the year's end and Christmas and I was curious, is there actually a way to connect the 3DS XL to the Virgin Media Super Hub 2ac that actually works and will not deny me access?

I am factually tech savy as some state when concerns a laptop and whatever I need to know however ethernets, Super Hubs and the like is not something I am familiar with, so if anyone could give me a method, please could it be in laymens terms for those not so aversed in this kind of technology. Near anything else from Televisions and game consoles, tablets and mobiles I can figure out or its obvious to myself but this is out of my knowledge capacity.

Any information on doing such in advance or prior to me actually wishing to spend money on the item and how to connect it to my WiFi would be factually appreciated.

Gratitude for your time and apologies for my interruption.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: DS Lite, 3DS XL and Virgin Super Hubs 2

Welcome on board Smiley Happy , Nice to meet you Greyback23

I can help you with both queries.

There IS a way to connect your DS to your hub but its not terribly secure-  Set up a guest network, SWITCH OFF SSID broadcast and switch off security. Your DS will now connect but you will need to put the SSID in manually.

DSXL will pair with HUB using WPS no bother. We have 3 in the house and haven't had any bother with any of them. They are also a worthwhile upgrade from DSlite in a number of areas, including teh latest games, NFC so you can use Amiibo and the 3D is pretty sweet.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Basically if your guest network is broadcasting with no security there is a slight risk someone could join your network without your permission. However as the guest network is a separate VLAN, LAN resources are not available. The worst they could do is guess your HUB password and lock you out. However that is easily resolved with a factory reset and extremely unlikely.

Amiibo are little characters you can add into your games by placing them on the 3DSXl.

group.jpg

Kind of like skylanders or lego dimensions.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Because its a guest network it has no effect on the main one- the two are separate. And no, there's no cost involved, it uses the bandwidth you are already paying for. All its doing its splitting a little bit off to create a new network.

And you should have the "broadcast SSID" option unchecked.

And "security settings" at none

Smiley Happy

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Welcome on board Smiley Happy , Nice to meet you Greyback23

I can help you with both queries.

There IS a way to connect your DS to your hub but its not terribly secure-  Set up a guest network, SWITCH OFF SSID broadcast and switch off security. Your DS will now connect but you will need to put the SSID in manually.

DSXL will pair with HUB using WPS no bother. We have 3 in the house and haven't had any bother with any of them. They are also a worthwhile upgrade from DSlite in a number of areas, including teh latest games, NFC so you can use Amiibo and the 3D is pretty sweet.

Greyback23
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That is factually decent to state the least to know that it can be done, however I do have a few factual queries about this process. Does it cost to set up a guest network at all?

I attempted to do this previously multiple times yet nothing seemed to work. Also, I never saw the ability to switch off SSID for the Guest Network and I even went through the entire process save for actually creating it, as it never gave me the chance to use WEP which apparently is what is needed for Nintendo DS Lites to get into the WiFi or so I was told by others who asked this question on other places I quickly looked up during those times I tried.

What are the factual risks of doing thos process if I might inquire?

I figured there would be alot of decent factual points to upgrading to a 3DS XL, save that point. However, so long as it will not end up like my DS Lite did in that I unfortunately could not connect at all, I might actually go ahead and purchase one when I get the chance. A chance to connect to others playing factual games such as Pokemon Moon or Sun might be briefly interesting. Although I must admit not knowing what factual Amiibo is however by its sound it might logically be something to communicate with others.

If it is as you stated, it will be worth my time indeed to purchase one if I get a chance. I have a few electronics I have been meaning to acquire however it takes time as I am patient and lack ample finance to do so on spur of the moment.

Gratitude to you Kippies however for the reply and information both before now and any you might provide later.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Basically if your guest network is broadcasting with no security there is a slight risk someone could join your network without your permission. However as the guest network is a separate VLAN, LAN resources are not available. The worst they could do is guess your HUB password and lock you out. However that is easily resolved with a factory reset and extremely unlikely.

Amiibo are little characters you can add into your games by placing them on the 3DSXl.

group.jpg

Kind of like skylanders or lego dimensions.

Greyback23
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ah that factually makes sense and explains a great deal. Could you perhaps explain the factual process of creating this guest network in simple terms?

Most I have found before were not simple but after ages of working it out I got the gists. And you seem to have a better grasp than others I have found when I went searching for instructions before coming here.

Ah I see, so those are Amiibos and such facts, makes sense I recall when Skylanders first came out and I figured out before people I was with what those things factually did and how they played into the game itself although it was obvious.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Theres a guide on how to set up a guest network

HERE

0 Kudos
Greyback23
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ah that was the one I factually used before.

Did you not state that I had to make sure that the SSID was unchecked and security off?

Also do you know if doing this factually messes up the main network or costs anything to do and such facts or anything else against the usual network?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Because its a guest network it has no effect on the main one- the two are separate. And no, there's no cost involved, it uses the bandwidth you are already paying for. All its doing its splitting a little bit off to create a new network.

And you should have the "broadcast SSID" option unchecked.

And "security settings" at none

Smiley Happy

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Greyback23
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In the factual instructions it states I should select or click Guest Wireless Network (SSID2) however when I am on the factual page this is what comes up as concerns wireless networks to select:

• 2.4GHz Primary Wireless Network
  • 2.4GHz First Guest Wireless Network
  • 2.4GHz Second Guest Wireless Network
  • 5GHz Primary Wireless Network
  • 5GHz First Guest Wireless Network
  • 5GHz Second Guest Wireless Network

hence I do not know which to factually click.

Then it states:

d. Click on the WEP radio button. Further options now display.
e. Select Automatic from the Authentication drop-down box.
f. Select WEP (64-bit) from the WEP Encryption drop-down box.
g. Enter the required network key in the Key 1 text box.

Is network Key meaning factual password and which of these parts do I actually do?

0 Kudos