Menu
TrooperUK22
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Constant slow speeds for 3 months on 150mb contract

I feel conned that after a supposedly "free" speed upgrade to 150mb my bill goes up by quite a bit.
I then ring up and ask for a loyalty discount only to be told that after 15 years I am not entitled to one and loyalty discounts are not offered on broadband only accounts, so I think to myself

1/ After over 3 years the email system and spam are "still" totally unusable and reliable
2/ Free webspace was removed from my account
3/ Wifi is very temperamental and coverage is patchy at best
4/ Speeds are a lot slower than advertised and promised
5/ There's really no benefit to being a loyal customer to brand Virgin

to hell with loyalty, cancel my broadband.

I then get put through to disconnections who tell me that there are always offers but the best they can do for the 150mb is a 2 tier discount which rises after 6 months.

I reluctantly agree.

Since this conversation in November 2016 I have only received 150mb on a few days. Most days my speed is only a third of what was promised and what I am paying for. Today my speed has hit an all time low of 0.56mb. 

120mb even 100mb is a temporary glitch, most days it's about 44mb, but 0.56mb is a joke.

I have checked the status page and on each occasion it tells me that there isn't a problem, the test button at the top of the page, does it do anything?
The contact button at the bottom of the page is a dead link.
I have taken screen grabs of speed tests over the last 3 months if Virgin want to see them. 

Virgin, why are my speeds so low all of the time?

I refer to Ofcom's Voluntary Code of Practice and and ask if Virgin has signed up to it?
I ask if you can look into why since the speed upgrade my speeds have been up to 2/3 slower than what i'm paying for and what was promised?
I also ask that if you cannot explain the constant lack of speed and cannot improve it on a consistent basis that you offer me a reduction in my bill equivalent to the cost of a slower product.

"Should you find that you're getting a much slower speed than your provider estimated at time of sign up, the Ofcom voluntary Code Of Practice requires the provider to work with you and give advice to increase your speed.

If your speed cannot be improved, then an Ofcom voluntary Code Of Practice provider should give you the offer of paying a lower monthly bill, equivalent to the cost of a slower product, should one be available, or give you the option of leaving your contract early and without penalties. In June 2015, Ofcom strengthened the voluntary Code Of Practice so that customers can now leave contracts performing significantly under their initial estimate at any point during their contract, not just in the first 3 months."

Anyone else having problems with speed in Walsall WV12 over the past 3 months?

stormfury2
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant slow speeds for 3 months on 150mb contract

Hi Trooper,

have you had any servicing work carried out on your line in the past to adjust the signal levels coming into your SuperHub? It's not uncommon to find that they need adjusting especially if you're getting inconsistent speeds at different times.

My Broadband Ping - Home

The above is broadband quality monitor from ThinkBroadband it could be worth setting one up which will monitor the quality of the connection. Essentially it shouldn't be much different from what you're seeing above with mine, however the small red spikes are packet loss but that is my doing and not the fault of the connection.

In reference to your other issues, I personally still have an 'ntlworld' email address which I use to sign up and register to things that I'm not bothered about, let it collect the spam and give out alternative gmail address to important contacts and services I need to keep a close eye on. It's free to use Gmail after all.

WiFi on the SuperHub(1,2,2ac,3) is mediocre at best. I've been using a Linksys WRT1900ac since they have been available and it's a night and day comparison. On that topic, the SuperHub is running in modem mode and will continue to do so.

I can completely understand you feeling underwhelmed and disappointed with what you will get as a broadband only customer, it's probably not that much more to go with TV/Phone/Broadband but obviously this is something you're not interested in otherwise you would have done this already.

I would keep making a noise until the issue is fixed or a fault is raised if it's VMs equipment outside your premises that's got the issue.

I will say that having had a stable connection for a long time after the upgrades (over utilisation was an issue in the area I live for over a year) I can consistently hit 150-160Mbit on a 150 package with uploads approaching 10Mbit. So when it works, it does work well.

Maniacalkevo198
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Has anybody else been screwed over with this vivid 200 gamer l? Signed up for it in December, then to be told the is a problem with the cables in my street so will experience slow speeds at peak times, said it would be fixed by January 23 then feb 10th now they saying the end of June, the fastest speed I have had is about 10mb I use me phones portable hot spot to game absolutely a joke, I live in a close and the ain't been any work here, lies
0 Kudos
TrooperUK22
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Only just realized that after resetting the router to factory defaults in an attempt to fix the problem myself (doh!), that the software version for my super hub 2 has not been updated back to V1.01.29 from V1.01.11.

Is there any way of asking the router to look for a software/firmware update?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi TrooperUK22,

Sorry we never seemed to have reached your original post but I have just come across your most recent and that prompted me to test your connection. The downstream power levels on your Hub are too high and will need to be reduced by an engineer.

I doubt whether or not this will impact on your Hub's ability to update the f/w but it does need to be addressed. Attempts on my side to re-submit the config file doesn't seem to have made any difference to the f/w version so it will be interesting to see if the engineer can help. If not just post an update on here. In the meantime please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll get an appointment scheduled in Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
TrooperUK22
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen
Forum Team

Engineer swapped out the SuperHub 2 for a SuperHub 3 and fitted an attenuator to get my levels right.

1 week on and no problems.

Thanks