Menu
ethanrw
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Constant ping spikes, maximum latency is almost always 140ms+ ping according to BQM.

You can view my BQM here (snapshot):

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/8c81cab9888f55c1f09b1ee27f860801-15-05-2016.html

and here (live):

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/c051b03ec799357a897a4276344c21b7.html

For the past month ish I have been getting constant lag spikes every few seconds, rendering every online game unplayable. This is definitely an internet issue on my end as you can see on the BQM.

Please help somehow, considering switching provider to see if it gets any better.

0 Kudos
ethanrw
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant ping spikes, maximum latency is almost always 140ms+ ping according to BQM.

downstream.pngnetwork log.pngupstream.png

Screenshots of my upstream, downstream, and network log.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant ping spikes, maximum latency is almost always 140ms+ ping according to BQM.

You just needed a reboot of your super hub router mode but if you want your ping to be stable over a long time use modem mode.
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFl...

0 Kudos
ethanrw
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can't use modem mode sadly since there's a bunch of wireless users in the house and the router is downstairs. Rebooted and there's still tons of issues, it's been the same way for weeks. Constant ping spikes every few seconds.

0 Kudos
ethanrw
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ping fails.png

Here is a screenshot of me pinging one of Valve's CSGO EU West servers in Luxembourg. I pointed out the random spikes in ping in red. 

Also, currently slightly disappointed since I posted the same issue 2 weeks ago with no response, and have no response yet this time even though I provided tons of information/screenshots etc and some people with nothing seem to get replies straight away. But oh well.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ethanrw wrote:

Can't use modem mode sadly since there's a bunch of wireless users in the house and the router is downstairs. Rebooted and there's still tons of issues, it's been the same way for weeks. Constant ping spikes every few seconds.

You can always connect your own wireless router to the super hub.

Your spikes after a reboot are likely down to a device doing short burst connections that take you to your upto limit and as the super hub is not putting per connections in flows for QoS so you spike high or the available bandwidth in your area limits you before the super hub.

You can ask for a newer super hub which may or may not cost you it may fix one issue or it may cause other issues so doing what I said above is best.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi ethanrw,

Thanks for posting, sorry to hear about the ping and lag spikes must be frustrating, particularly as a gamerSmiley Sad

Checking the stats you've kindly posted and running a few checks on your Hub from this end, initial concerns are with your Hubs downstream power levels, which are too low, I'd like to arrange for an engineer visit to get these checked and adjusted.

I'll drop you a Private Message (purple envelope upper right) so we can get this booked in.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos