Menu
rphm1962
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Constant packet loss - VIVID200

Hi I am having a problem currently where I am getting between 2-10% packet loss constantly throughout the day when connected through cat6 ethernet direct to the router.

Obviously this makes playing things like FPS's extremely frustrating.

Here is a link to my BQM: 

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/693014cec3a119b51732df9c3c723bc2.html

693014cec3a119b51732df9c3c723bc2

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
rphm1962
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Constant packet loss - VIVID200

Spoke to virgin yesterday - There is an overutilisation problem in our area which is causing problems between 6pm to 11pm every evening.

Given a review date of 28th November. We have now terminated our contract.

Note to any people reading this topic - Virgin Media customer service is probably the worst I've ever experienced, and if there is an over-utilisation issue in your area you are **bleep**.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos

All Replies
rphm1962
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can someone advise how I change my router from the superhub 3 to the superhub 2?

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Where are you seeing packet loss, that BQM looks fine up until that massive red spike on the end

0 Kudos
rphm1962
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Using different applications like Teamspeak and the netgraphs in-game in FPS's

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

rphm1962 wrote:

Can someone advise how I change my router from the superhub 3 to the superhub 2?

Unless you're already in possession of a SH2 you can't, i managed to get the tech to put my old SH2 back on my account to replace the SH3 they sent me, but if you no longer have it or were never sent one then you'll probably not be able to get one, and no, don't buy one off of somewhere like ebay, it wont work

0 Kudos
rphm1962
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm being told that the jitter and packet loss is being caused in part by the hub 3, so I will have to look at my options with virgin.

After looking at other posts on here about packet loss, video buffering and latency etc, it seems to be a problem with the virgin network itself and the customer service team on this board and the helpline don't seem to be able to do anything to fix this. 

0 Kudos
rphm1962
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This is data taken from pingplotter from 1220-1253 today pinging bbc.co.uk and shows clear packet loss.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Took some time to work out how pingplotter does its packet loss or PL% which is based on the focus setting because I could not work out why in your pingplotter their was no PL% for the end IP which is down to your focus setting so only if it happens 60 seconds after does it count to your PL%.

Some their seems to be some intermittent packet happing but could be the BBC rate limiting? possibly or a very slight intermittent Docsis issue? Or a very slight intermittent routing connection thats very intermittent but its not 2-10% packet loss constantly of the final destination.

Run some of these tests try the 25- Users - Simple and up test
http://208.43.231.248/quality-library.html

You might also want to put a BQM on 81.104.36.1 and 62.252.71.162

Note that some of VM gateways/CMTS have a custom  15min ping delay.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

rphm1962 wrote:

This is data taken from pingplotter from 1220-1253 today pinging bbc.co.uk and shows clear packet loss.

Capture.PNG

Well it shows a couple of devices not responding to ICMP, there is no packet loss on the final hop which means all of the traffic is getting to the destination when pinged directly, with regards to games and teamspeak, unless you're got a tool constantly pinging those and checking those routes you're not going to know whats causing those particular issues

0 Kudos
rphm1962
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Spoke to virgin yesterday - There is an overutilisation problem in our area which is causing problems between 6pm to 11pm every evening.

Given a review date of 28th November. We have now terminated our contract.

Note to any people reading this topic - Virgin Media customer service is probably the worst I've ever experienced, and if there is an over-utilisation issue in your area you are **bleep**.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos