Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 3 (128 Views)

Constant latency spikes every second

For about 3-4 weeks now I've been getting consistent latency spikes every second, at all times of day, on any game.

My ping is usually stable around 30ms, however every second it will spike to 200-400ms and sometimes even higher. These spikes are small enough to not cause problems with most services, however large enough that it's the equivalent of being disconnected from whatever game I'm playing for 20% of every second. Which as I'm sure you can understand makes any sort of latency intensive game (Overwatch, CS:GO etc) practically unplayable.

I ran a BQM overnight, and things don't look good there either, unstable minimum latency, constant spikes in maximum latency, and ~1-5% packet loss the whole time, with a few small spikes up to 50%.

I am connected to my router (A Superhub 2) via ethernet, and have tried different cables, to no avail.

Here's the BQM, as well as upstream, downstream and network logs from the router:

BQMBQM

UpstreamUpstream

DownstreamDownstream

Network logNetwork log

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3 (55 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by TearroTime
Friday

Re: Constant latency spikes every second

Hi TearroTime,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are having an issue with your broadband connection.

As stevedh2 mentioned the upstream power levels are too high and for this I can arrange an engineer appointment. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

There is also a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F004794472 and has a review date of 19th April.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Well-informed
Message 2 of 3 (83 Views)

You're downstream levels seem ok, however you're upstream are a bit high.

Whats more worrying is your BQM and the weird 6 hour periodic nature of the latency spikes, although even at the best of times its pretty bad.

Anyway looks like you have an external problem that needs fixing, although it is possible that improving your levels may help, but pretty much nothing you can do yourself.

It'll take around a week or so before a member of Virgin staff on here will be able to get to this message, alternatively you can try phoning 150.

Forum Team
Message 3 of 3 (56 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by TearroTime
Friday

Hi TearroTime,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are having an issue with your broadband connection.

As stevedh2 mentioned the upstream power levels are too high and for this I can arrange an engineer appointment. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

There is also a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F004794472 and has a review date of 19th April.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide