Menu
Lee-47
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Constant lag spikes

For a few months now i've been experience frequent lag spikes which occur every 30 seconds or so and last for 3 seconds where the internet just spikes and doesn't seem to function properly, if i'm on skype then I won't be able to hear the other person for 3 seconds or if i'm playing a game it will just freeze for 3 seconds and then resume. 
The lag spikes aren't active every day although they appear every few days and last for a few days, they then randomly dissappear and come back a few days later.

When i'm in a game my ping doesn't show any increase it stays the same even when the spike happens and ends, although i used a program called ping plotter and it showed every 1 minute my ping spiked to around 2000 for a few seconds before returning to normal.

It's been like this for months now and i'm just getting fed up with it as it makes it very hard to play games.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant lag spikes

Hi Lee-47,

Sorry to hear you're getting lag spikes and drop outs. I've just checked your connection to see what could be causing them and can see there is a contention fault open in the area under ticket F004144676. This will cause slow speeds and latency at peak times such as evenings and weekends and is due for review 18/05/16. I'm not convinced this is the sole cause of these spikes as faults of this nature would usually cause a gradual increase in the latency rather than sudden spikes. Could you post your pingplotter for us to take a look at? Also if you have a thinkbroadband graph set up could you post that too?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Lee-47
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm pretty sure that isn't the cause of my problem as the lag spikes can be present at far from peak times such as the morning and late in the night on a weekday. The lag spikes aren't currently present so here is the pingplotter from the other week. http://imgur.com/1Flaw7Q

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee-47,

Thanks for posting the pingplotter. The gradual ping decreasing looks about right for a contention fault but the sudden spikes look far too regimented to be caused by a fault. Do you have anything set to upload or back up at the specific times you see these spikes?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Lee-47
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Nothing is being uploaded as far as i'm aware of, which i'm 99% sure nothing is. I don't think anything is set to back up at the specific times either. They are just completely random from what I've seen

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi  Lee-47,

Thanks for the additional info, very strange, as John has mentioned there's a little peak time traffic going on but other than that all looks in good shape from this end.

Is the connection wired or wireless?

For diagnostic purposes it may be an idea to drop your SuperHub into modem mode with a wired connection to the one PC and check for the lag spikes again.

Speak to you soon.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
Lee-47
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The connection is wired, I will do this when the lag spikes start appearing again

0 Kudos