Menu
MuL
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Constant lag spikes

Hello,

Few words on my current installation :

• Super Hub 2ac, laptop on Windows 8.1, connected on wifi.

I experience lag spikes on absolutely every games I've played online. My ping rate is quite low, always above 30.

I don't have any big barriers between the hub and my computer, both channels are used. Can't be due to the interferences.

Any chance to fix this with someone from Virgin here ?

0 Kudos
MuL
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant lag spikes

always /below/ 30. not above.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How do you know that it can't be interference?, Did you ping the hub wirelessly? A ping to the game server of under 30ms shouldn't cause a problem.

Have you scanned your wireless enviroment with a wireless scanner like InSSIDer?

Interference can be caused by household appliances like A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Microwave ovens, chordless phones, plasma TVs, etc.

Are you using the 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz band? Running channel bonding on the 2.4Ghz band is usually not a good idea as it takes up half the available wireless spectrum, making it vulnerable to interference.

I would test by connecting to the hub directly to the hub by ethernet cable. to take the wireless out of the equation, as it could be the internet connection from the hub to the internet causing the problem.

Running a few tracerts to the gameserver might shed a bit more light,

Starting a Broadband Quality monitor here would give you a better understanding how your connection is performing.You will need to enable Responf to ICMP echo requests in the ping section of the advanced settings in the hub's GUI

0 Kudos
MuL
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I did a pinged my hub and this what I see.

Untitled-1.png

Then I tried to do the same test but connected with an ethernet cable. Ping was under 1ms but I saw spikes at 4. 

So, I presume those lags are coming from the connection itself.

I didn't use any software to check my wireless environment. I'm on the second floor and the hub is exactly below me. Using the 5Ghz channel, being at less than 2m with the floor for only barrier, I can't see anything that create these lag spikes.

0 Kudos
Pianobasher
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I'm seeing these issues on both bands too too. Testing with 2.4GHz I tried changing channels manually but no difference. Sometimes I can restart the Superhub and it's fine for a while then just seems to degrade. The reason it's such a problem is that I'm trying to use a Steam Link (cabled to the superhub - PC is on 5GHz wifi) which clearly shows these spikes on the performance graphs.

I'm looking at using the Superhub as a modem and attaching a separate router before going down the road of running cables through the house and through walls (would rather avoid).. I wonder if anyone else has done this?

I've done tests at silly times like 4am and that made no difference either. I'm the only user on the network when I do these tests, too.

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=77ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=74ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=154ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64

0 Kudos
Pianobasher
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

After exhaustive troubleshooting, I found the culprit (Windows 10)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\IJ Network Scanner Selector EX (this is for my wireless Canon printer)

You can uninstall this from control panel.

If I didn't do this stuff (network engineering) for a living, I'm sure I'd have thrown the damned computer out of the window.

Check for ANY device you use that is using wireless technology and power it off/disable its drivers one by one until you identify the problem.This includes modern cordless phones that may use the 5GHz band (you can check this from their specs even if their label doesn't say so).

Not a single ping in 1 hour over 1ms on the 5GHz band since I stopped and uninstalled that service.

For search engines: 5GHz wifi packet loss high latency ping spikes gaming rubber banding dropouts windows 10

0 Kudos
SonarUK
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

for gaming your best option is always wired if you sit close to the router.

Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool on Xbox One: http://bit.ly/1e8bSs3
Network ports used by Xbox Live on Xbox One: http://bit.ly/1dCNLm0
xBox Support: http://bit.ly/1lE2QrK
Xbox One operating system versions and system updates: http://bit.ly/1NiJS1j

www.twitch.tv/familycreations

0 Kudos
Pianobasher
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ah well, getting more interference now. It's definitely not the SuperHub as I've taken that out of the equation. Smiley Sad

Looks like I'll be running some Cat 6a then. I used some apps yesterday to check the WiFi bands and it's extremely busy around my area so I don't think there's much hope of using wireless for anything except casual browsing.

0 Kudos