Menu
Raimonds
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Constant lag spike while gaming

Hi, I've been having an issue recently with all my games (online)

For about two months I have had a constant issue with my broadband while gaming online, The problem while online gaming is with the lag spikes no matter what game I play online, it has came to the point when its becoming unplayable. I usually start of with 30+ ping but every 10/20 seconds I seem to get a lag spike and my ping can jump up to 100+ then my ping is unstable from 60 to 100. Constant change I just stutter around my screen its more noticeable while playing CS:GO and battlefield 4 its got to the point when I cant play in my free time and it can last hours no matter if I reset my HUB doesn't change a thing. Also I'm wired from my PC to the HUB.

-Can someone please help me to resolve my issue

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Vdera
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant lag spike while gaming

I can almost guarantee this is due to VM over-subscribing in your area.  They're doing it all over the country; taking on too many customers which is straining their network at peak times.  I've been having issues like this for about a month and I'm told the issue wont be resolved until March.

I pay for the 200Mbit service.  During peak times I get about 1% of that speed with pings up to 400ms.

Customer service are a joke, and you'll easily wait a week on here for an official reply.  You're better off contacting them via Facebook

0 Kudos
Raimonds
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Exactly my situation, 200mb, I should see what is minimal guaranteed speed, and put constant tracert to identify weak link, this is just anoying
Thanks for reply mate

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VM have no guaranteed minimum speed for residential customers.

If you are unlucky enough to be in an area suffering from overutilization then you should only see issues during peak times which are typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends.  If you are seeing issues outside of peak times then it is probably a different issue, or an additional issue.

Vdera is correct that current staff response times on here can be up to a week, but the staff on here IMHO are a lot more knowledgeable than the phone or Facebook staff.  Quite often the FB staff tell customers to post here as they can't help them.  Also the forum staff will not give out review dates as fix dates, unlike other VM staff.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and somebody should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting over a year for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Raimonds wrote:

Hi, I've been having an issue recently with all my games (online)

For about two months I have had a constant issue with my broadband while gaming online, The problem while online gaming is with the lag spikes no matter what game I play online, it has came to the point when its becoming unplayable. I usually start of with 30+ ping but every 10/20 seconds I seem to get a lag spike and my ping can jump up to 100+ then my ping is unstable from 60 to 100. Constant change I just stutter around my screen its more noticeable while playing CS:GO and battlefield 4 its got to the point when I cant play in my free time and it can last hours no matter if I reset my HUB doesn't change a thing. Also I'm wired from my PC to the HUB.

-Can someone please help me to resolve my issue

Thanks 

Can you post your power levels for us to take a look at?

Go to your Superhub Log in screen

Do NOT log in.

Little button top right.....

Can you post Upstream, Downstream and Network logs.

Screen caps are nice, C&P will do- Don't stress about formatting if you C&P. Someone will get a look and see if there's anything obvious amiss.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Raimonds,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

My apologies that you are having issues with lag spikes whilst online gaming.

Looking at your connection, the power levels are within range, there are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running low.

Do you notice this issue at all times of the day?

Have you tried the connection whilst the Super Hub is in modem mode?

Are you able to post some trace route results please for us to check?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos