Menu
c_a_devries
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Constant internet drop outs and very high ping.

I play league of legends on and off and during play I notice ping spikes that can range from 300 to 3000. These ping spikes don't last for long, maybe 5 minutes, so I can't see what would cause that short-lived ping spike but they do happen quite often. But this isn't just whilst I'm playing, my flatmates and I experience extremely slow internet at times. Sometimes the internet speed is as slow at 0.30mbps rather than anywhere near the 50mbps that we pay for. Whenever this happens the router doesn't have any warning lights on, resetting the router doesn't seem to fix anything and there is nothing else indicating that there is a problem. I would appreciate some advice on how to check for issues or fix this. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant internet drop outs and very high ping.

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

Are you seeing the dropouts and slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds (and dropouts if it gets really bad) at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant internet drop outs and very high ping.

Hi c_a_devries, 

Thanks for posting to let us know that you're having constant drop outs and very high ping spikes, this can be annoying I know so apologies for any troubles.

I have tested your connection and I can see that all of your downstream power levels are too high and will need an engineer to attend and make some adjustments in order to resolve things for you!

I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll ensure this all gets booked and secured for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos