Menu
combat_honey
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Constant disconnecting when playing online games on Xbox One

Hi all,

I've recently been playing Evolve on Xbox One but have found it impossible to finish more than a couple of games due to constant disconnection problems.

I've set up a DMZ for my Xbox and also set up port forwarding to all the ports that the game uses, but neither of these things have really helped, so I was wondering if anyone here might be able to offer advice.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
benwade2010
Dialled in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Constant disconnecting when playing online games on Xbox One

Hi Combat,

I'm not too sure why it only happens on evolve, but the same thing used to happen to me whilst playing Call of Duty but was fine on the odd game or two. It seems to me and many others to be an issue with the wireless feature on the super hub.

I started gaming with a wired connection and the disconnections completely stopped, same thing with another Xbox One in our house and that solved the problem too.

There's also a solution that a user here on the forums found, though it doesn't work for everybody. Here is how you do it: Go to your Superhub settings, click advanced settings, click wireless radio and change the 5ghz wireless to 54mbps. Then connect your Xbox One wirelessly to 5g.

Hopefully this helps.

All Replies
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi combat_honey,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering disconnections whilst playing Evolve on Xbox One.  Are any other games or online services affected by drops?  Is it possible to test a wired connection in modem mode to test for any difference please?

Let me know how you get on.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

benwade2010
Dialled in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Are you getting disconnected every game? Does it happen on any other games such as Call of Duty Ghosts or Advanced Warfare? or maybe even Fifa? Are you gaming wirelessly?

If so I think I may know the problem that you are having with your connection, it is fairly common it seems.

polaris70
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin have been terrible the last month, high ping spikes playing BF4, like over 100 ping to even UK servers (usually 20-30). Never had a serious problem with Virgin for 20 years, but lately they have been awful. Just lost connection to a BF4 server to top it off, and so did my platoon mate who lives down south 200 miles from me and is also with Virgin and has also had the exact same problems recently. So it's not just the area I'm in. And no, I'm not playing over a wireless network, it is wired straight to the super hub so something tells me it has nothing to do with my end. Time to look for a new isp.

0 Kudos
combat_honey
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, benwade2010.

The disconnections aren't with every game - they're just with Evolve. Titanfall and Plants vs Zombies have always worked flawlessly.

I am gaming wirelessly, yes.

0 Kudos
combat_honey
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, Kev_B. The problem is only with Evolve at the moment. I've taken up the issue with 2k (the producer of the game) but I've tried everything they've recommended (port forwarding, DMZ for my Xbox, limiting or removing firewall entirely) to no avail. Since I was having no luck with trying solutions specific to the game I thought I'd ask here to see if there could be a more general issue with my connection or something.

I'm not home tonight, but I'll run a wired test in modem mode tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Combat_honey,

Logical thinking, I like it Smiley Happy Thanks for trying all of 2Ks suggestions. It helps massively to know that you've already tried DMZ and firewall. Now that we know it's only with Evolve we can start testing specifically with the route between you and their servers. Once you've tried wired and modem mode, let us know how that performs and we'll run some more in depth tests.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

combat_honey
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Thanks again for all your replies. You've been most welcoming and helpful so far.

I've now tried playing wired with modem mode on and it seemed to work perfectly - no disconnection at all. So the problem seems to be wi-fi specific. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed now that we've established this?

0 Kudos
benwade2010
Dialled in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Combat,

I'm not too sure why it only happens on evolve, but the same thing used to happen to me whilst playing Call of Duty but was fine on the odd game or two. It seems to me and many others to be an issue with the wireless feature on the super hub.

I started gaming with a wired connection and the disconnections completely stopped, same thing with another Xbox One in our house and that solved the problem too.

There's also a solution that a user here on the forums found, though it doesn't work for everybody. Here is how you do it: Go to your Superhub settings, click advanced settings, click wireless radio and change the 5ghz wireless to 54mbps. Then connect your Xbox One wirelessly to 5g.

Hopefully this helps.

combat_honey
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi benwade2010,

Many thanks for the suggestion - I'll try it when I get home tonight.

0 Kudos