Menu
jarvis-f5
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Constant Ping Spikes and Outages

I mainly play Dota 2  on their EU west server which is in Luxembourg and can suffer huge 1000ms lag spikes during play. On top of this, my router will require a hard reset 3 or 4 times a week. My PC is wired using a power line adapter that is plugged into the wall. I have put up with these problems for a few months now but it seems to have gotten worse in the past 2 or 3 weeks. My googles in the past have led to posts that say Virgin media has bad routing to the server that I play on. I set up a ping monitor on thinkbroadband yesterday.

Thanks for any help you can offer me.

My Broadband Ping - vm ping spike hell

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant Ping Spikes and Outages

if your in router mode do a reboot if you want a stable ping use modem mode in your case you have that problem and likely another problem so after the reboot look to see in upstream if you get T# time outs showing in the super hub.

0 Kudos
jarvis-f5
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

After turning on modem mode and running into problems getting access to the internet, I did a factory reset and it seems to have solved my ping issues. Thanks for the advice

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It would of worked with a PC the DHCP in windows can be trouble when it goes the IP autoconfigure so you might have had to unplug and re-plug the Ethernet cable for the modem mode port if you had it to the right port? Along with maybe needing to power off the super hub when in modem mode for 5 mins.
So you might need to reboot again at some point for router mode but you can choice to go modem mode with a PC + ICS or router depending on what you need.
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE...

0 Kudos